LED suggestion for house lights

1) 35,000 hours of fan life is almost exactly 4 years of 24/7/365 use AT RATED SPEED.
2) At half rated speed, the life will we well beyond that. I could make a case that the life is doubled..

You have done your homework, which is commendable. The paper doesn't really address the most common cause of fan failure, which is lubricant loss and breakdown. There is no way to replenish the lubricant in fans. The fans are exposed to heat and the lubricant fails more quickly than anticipated.

Generally, ball bearing fans seem to last the longest, but the majority of small fans use sleeve bearings. It's easy to overlook that sleeve bearing fans are happiest with the shaft in a horizontal orientation, otherwise the lubricate migrates out. I can't tell you how many vertical shaft sleeve bearing fans I have had to change. In those cases, the designer didn't know what he/she was doing when they selected the fan or they couldn't spend the extra money to do it correctly.

I'm looking to specify some LED units for our houselights. The intent is ( as part of a remodel) to replace the <expletive deleted> R30 floods that keep burning out, with something that will not burn out, and that we can control more easily using our console.

My working plan is to surface mount some kind of unit on the ceiling pointing down for house lights. ( We could recess if necessary )

So what's important to us?
1 - No fan.
2 - DMX control.
3 - Not just RGB or RGBA. IE we want a white circuit in there. I would prefer a warm / cool white - but I will take RGBAW - or RGBW if that is what it takes.
4 - An intensity channel in the DMX map.
5 - Smooth dimming curve. No stepping in the low ranges.
6 - Reasonable beam spread ( reasonable being around 30 to 40 degrees ). Our ceiling is fairly low - about 18 feet.
7 - Some way to reduce glare from the unit. Either put in hexcell or a top hat.

The units I have found so far:
Elation ELED DW Par56. Too narrow a beam spread. Color temp is high ( Their warm is 3000K)

Apollo HP5-70. Nice beam spread. No fan, no way to control Glare.

Altman Spectra series. 1Q38. A bit high in color temp ( 3000K minimum). Not clear what beam spreads available. They do support options for hexcel accessories, etc.

Chauvet Colorado 1VWTour Nice range of color. The warm white is 2700K. Reasonable beam/field. Can't tell if there is a fan and no way to control glare.

Anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would add to these requirements:

--An effective and UL924-listed method of using some of these LED luminaires as an emergency lighting source.

Battery pack unit equipment seems absurd when we have the potential for an LED luminaire that can also satisfy the requirements for emergency lighting.

ST

There is this from The Light Source
proxy.php

LED Dimming 100 Watt Fresnel House Light

L&E also has a product
proxy.php

Flood Lights

Yikes! I just got a quote on the Light Source fixtures... $1600 each list - about $1,200 net. Gotta start saving up some pennies if I'm gonna use them.

I was under the impression that this light source house light had the same engine as their led Fresnel that sells for under $600 on. BMI. I suppose that isn't correct at this cost?

That's correct, but the house light has DMX built in and thus is dimmable, whereas the work light is on/off.

Perhaps the worklight is dimmable with some of those Doug Fleenor low wattage dimmers.

We strongly recommend the Affineon gear. Great stuff. Just wish someone would come up with the scratch to actually allow us to install it.

The blink at the end of even the best LED replacement lamp is too much for me. Very distracting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back