LED tape + heatsinks

Beans45601

I've used a lot of LED tape in the past, but mostly for short term use. In our next show, I'm using it built into the set and it will be on, probably close to full, for the entire show. In this case, would y'all recommend adhering it to some AL stock for a heat sink, or would it be fine just attached directly to the set (wood)?

(edit)
I'm using this tape, just regular cheap 5050 tape from Amazon.

I suspect that you'll be fine. I've been running that same tape directly on wood for months now on several different sets. The tape, even running at full, never gets so warm that it can't be handled.

Although I would suggest that you do not trust the tape's adhesive, and spend lots of time securing any lengths of it that are verticle or upside down. I used strips of gaff tape every foot or so, between the LEDs, and have had things fall over time.

I suspect that you'll be fine. I've been running that same tape directly on wood for months now on several different sets. The tape, even running at full, never gets so warm that it can't be handled.

Although I would suggest that you do not trust the tape's adhesive, and spend lots of time securing any lengths of it that are verticle or upside down. I used strips of gaff tape every foot or so, between the LEDs, and have had things fall over time.

Thanks! I have had similar problems with the adhesive. These are going to end up being footlights that I am going to use in the future, so I'm going to go ahead and glue the tape to AL bar stock and then attach that to the frame. I imagine I'll have much better luck with the tape sticking to metal than wood, hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back