LED UV system advice.

Padma

Need to build LED UV solar powered system for a dozen 5' x 8' black light paintings.

Could someone be so kind as to advise on the type of uv leds to use, sourceing the LEDs and sockets and perhpas any suggestions on building such a system.

This is a sample of one of the paintings.

9491-led-uv-system-advice-green-tara-uv.jpg

Thank you.

blessings,
Padma

Attachments

• Green Tara UV.jpg
    Green Tara UV.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 519
Be aware that LED based UV sources may not produce the reaction in UV paints that you would expect from a florescent based blacklight. The best blacklights use mercury based arc tubes. This would include everything from "twist" type CFLs to the HID based arc lights. The two characteristics you are looking for are:
1) The degree of the reaction of the paint.
2) The absence of visible light.

Inexpensive blacklights often put out a lot of purple light but don't necessarily cause the reaction you are looking for. Many LED based blacklights fall into this category.

Try before you buy, but the best outcome may actually be those 12 watt "twist" CFL blacklights you can get at home depot. To make it solar powered you would need a battery system and inverter to get it to line voltage. Of course, I have to assume that they charge by day to light by night as any effect would be lost in daylight.

Check out some of those Solar battery supplies they use for campers. Often, everything you need is bundled in the package. (Solar panel, gel-cel battery, and inverter.)

Yo, JD

Thank you for your kind reply.

Yes everything you say about UV LEDS and tubes and CFLs to the HID based arc lights is true.

Unfortunately this show has to be back packed into and isolated area with no possibility to plug in and no generators allowed. It truly has to be an compact solar powered LED system.

I just don't know thy type of UV LEDs to use or where to get them.

blessings

Wow, that is a very challenging situation! You are trying to cover 480 square feet of artwork and back-pack it without aux power.

How long will the exhibits be? It is going to be a balancing act as the length of the show will determine how big the batteries will need to be and weight may become a factor.

I am hesitant to recommend any of the LED blacklights I have had experience with as I would not consider it very successful. As far as size and weight go, small fluorescents with solid state ballasts may end up taking up less room for a given outcome of effect.

Again, equipment designed for camping may be your best source.

Since LED technology is moving at a rapid pace, there may be more suitable LED units on the market that I am not aware of. Hopefully someone with this knowledge will hit this thread and hopefully add to the idea list.

LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS has everything you could ever want LED including UV. Here's the link to their UV collection. I would buy a variety to test them out. Like JD, I seriously question if they will have the look you are after.

Have you considered the 6" Battery powered Fluorescent Black Lights? These provide really nice light on a small surface at a close distance. They cost around $5-$10 each. Just Google "Battery Blacklight" and you'll find tons of options. I think Chauvet even makes one.

41bGeahujhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yo, gafftaper

Thank you...them hand held flashlights are the just the ticket for this set up.

Now need to locate a simple solar "charging circuit" and integrate a "joule thief" into the mix to give maximum light for minimum power.. or schematics for such a device.

>>>>>>>>
@ John Dziel show runs for 6 days, no PA or sound system, no generators, but hey, is gonna be a blast.

and ...ya yer right UV LEDs ain't gonna be full range UV coverage but is better than nothing and since its the only light at this shindig, it will be just fine.

blessings
Padma

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back