Conventional Fixtures LED Wash Fixtures

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
All right fellow ControlBooth members,

With so many powerful LED wash fixtures currently on the market, which full featured LED wash fixture works best for YOU?

• High end corporate work:

A number of us working in the trenches would like to know!​

[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Wow, have you ever seen an opinion question get less response? :)
I can't answer your question with field knowledge, but I will tell you who and what I am watching.
GLP- I love what I have seen of the X4 product line for color and brightness. Love the size and build quality. Had a couple of tours come through with them.
Robe- DL7F Wash. I have not seen these in the "wild". Single homogenized beam is one thing for which I am looking. I like Robe products. This is what I would lean to for theatre.
If it doesn't have to move, ETC Series 2 with the fresnel adapter or the Selador Desire. The ability to tune Color temperature is phenomenal. Great for IMAG.
Of course, one wonders why you are asking...
Take care,
John

<Of course, one wonders why you are asking...>

Of course. :)
Our engineering and design dept (AVID Labs) has been working on several LED projects for markets outside the conventional theater realm. The cross-pollination of some of their work will certainly suit the live event world and I'm curious as to the 'must have' feature set that lighting folks feel they need in a static wash unit.

For static fixtures, I would like to be able to control zoom. In a dance plot, it would allow me to reuse backlight or downlight as a special. Homogenized beam and no multi shadow for theatre would be good. A really good incandescent range white. Good high frequency drivers for good dimming and no flicker.
John

Our Theater Dept. seems very happy with the ETC ColorSource Par, especially the lensing options

I've been thrilled with my Martin MAC Aura's, 2 years old now. Good R&R color, great zoom, great size, great punch. And very reliable.

If I was buying statics I would do the Desire D60's for the lenses, color and intensity. I would rather have a great range of lenses over zoom, which I feel is a waste of money for an otherwise wash unit, if the fixture doesn't move.

I've been waiting for nearly 2 years for a suitable LED full colour fresnel to appear... :-(
We've just ordered Chauvet Hex 12 (RGBAW & UV), and Quad 18's (RGBA), as basic stage wash, as well as Martin Rush 2 RGBW Zoom to replace mutlipars/ Par64's, in order to use funds allocated to LED fresnels.

and I'm sure as soon as they're all installed someone will release exactly the product I've been waiting for.

I would agree that I would like to see an LED Fresnel as well.

There is a phillips selecon PL-Something LED fresnel that is supposed to be pretty good. I have had enough bad experiences with the companies that are now under the phillips umbrella that I have no plans of purchasing any, but if you feel different about Phillips it might be worth taking a look at.

I can say that there is a manufacturer that has said they're working on an LED color mixing fresnel. LDI or next year USITT release I'd guess. It'll be good. There's probably more than one, but there's one that I know of.

As far as LED fixtures my go-to right now is the Martin Rush Par 2. For less demanding applications the Elation QA fixtures - EPAR QA in particular - are what I've used. I've noticed that the current crop of hex RGBAW-UV single-chip fixtures are not at all homogenized once they reach destination - splotches and rings of color all over when I shoot them at a wall. In particular I almost always see a cooler outside ring and warmer/redder center. In particular with the Elation SixPar 100 - the 200 is less splotchy, but the SixPar 100 is all over splotchy (at least from the demo I saw). Maybe this is because of how the hex-chip LEDs are situated? I'd much prefer an RGBA fixture with a nice, flat field and no splotches to a splotchy RGBAW-UV fixture. I'm of the opinion that for a PAR fixture you still need to run the light through a homogenizing column a la Clay Paky B-Eye or Martin MAC Aura to get a nice, even output. Yeah, it adds 2 inches to the fixture length, but it's worth it for the truly even field of color Martin did shoot themselves in the foot by not offering a color frame for the Rush Par 2 while at the same time including a non-standard size color frame slot. I'd put R114 or R119 in those to soften the edge if I could, and I've gaff taped it on there before. It's just a bit hard edged for some applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back