LEDs out of control

ahat30

I just installed all new LED's in our Worship Center, 2 Chauvet QWash 560z's, 2 412 Legends, and 10 Slim Par Tri 12's. I am having a problem with all of them going out of control, flickering all in sync. The only way I can get them to stop is if I unplug the splitter from the single DMX output on our stage.

Before the install, I already had 4 Chauvet ColorDash Pars installed and hadn't had any problems with them. I haven't tried terminators on the end of chains yet. I will have to purchase those.

The other way I can get them to stop is if I turn my Grand Master all the way to 0 from my Vista board.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Adam

this morning I found a 3 pin terminator, plugged it into the Loop Through out on the splitter. All of the fixtures stopped going crazy, however every once in a while they would blink. So I think I am on to something with the terminator.

One thing to check ( admittedly this is a stretch ). Mke sure the fixture is not in some automatic sound mode where a loud sound has an effect. This is ampullae mode for DJType fixtures.

Turn the DMX speed on the splitter (if that's an option) and/or the board to it's lowest setting. Worked in our case.

anyone ever have an Jands S1 board go bad? I have tried several different things as well as the terminators. I have done a home run shot from the floor pocket to an individual light and it still does blinks, flashes, etc.., even with a terminator on it, tried to look for a DMX speed setting on both the splitter and the software/hardware and none to find...however when I unplug the DMX from the back of the board all flickering/flashing stops. I'm wondering if it is the board at this point. I have an M1 and have plugged it in but haven't been able to get it to control everything. I am still trying this route currently. Any thoughts?

Ok, finally got the M1 board to be recognized by Byron, firmware update, and I have no more issues with the lights as stated above. My conclusion would be the board is bad. Thanks everyone for helping me out.

We'll, I'm back. Came in this morning and the LED's were back at it, but not as bad. I played with disconnecting universes and reconnecting at the board, and finally have them stable. I have no clue as to what it may be now since its happened while hooked in to the smaller console. Thoughts?

Ok guys, an update. I'm still having this issue but here is what I have learned. I took my laptop, with an M1 board down to the stage where the DMX in the floor pocket it. I opened our show file in Byron, and was able to control all LED's on this Universe that is giving me the trouble and now they work perfectly...no flickering, no random colors...nothing but working great. I am to the conclusion that it is a bad DMX line from our light booth to the floor pocket, can I get a second or maybe some other thoughts? Thanks guys.

Look at the cable at both ends. What brand and type of cable is it, and is it the same on both ends? It could be the wrong type of cable. Are the connectors wired correctly on both ends, without any shorts and no more than an inch of outer jacket stripped off? Get an ohm meter and a helper to check all of the conductors for continuity and shorts to the shield.

Pin 1 = shield
Pin 2 = data- of pair A
Pin 3 = data+ of pair A
Pin 4 = not used-, pair B
Pin 5 = not used+, pair B

The cable has two twisted pairs. Pins 2 and 3 must use the same twisted pair! If they are split across two twisted pairs, it won't work right.

While looking at the cable at each end, make sure it's the same brand.
If not, there may be a connection in between that might be causing a problem.

It could well be the cable between the console and the floor pocket. Do you have a terminator on the last fixture of EACH chain from the splitters output? In My experience Chauvet fixtures are much more prone to these problems than say Vari*lite, or other more expensive brands where 40 fixtures and no termination has not been an issue.

DMX timing. I dont know is your console has variable timings, but many splites cannot cope with faster timings.

********OKAY, Now that all of that has failed, run a sequence that has a color change and basic movement, so it is easy to see if something is going wrong.
unplug everything, then plug in one light at a time in the chain, until the problem occurs. A bad device or cable can cause a problem anywhere in the chain. theoretically it should be isolated between each output of the split, but you never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back