Les Mis high school sets

Blake

Hey all,
My high school is doing Les Mis this winter (I'm worried about the acting, but that's another story) and I am building sets for it. Our stage is approx 40' X 40' and we have little to no Wingspace. Any advice from those who have done the show?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Hey all,
My high school is doing Les Mis this winter (I'm worried about the acting, but that's another story) and I am building sets for it. Our stage is approx 40' X 40' and we have little to no Wingspace. Any advice from those who have done the show?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Pay to rent the revolve. Use it both as an artistic element and as a scene change aid (if the Empty Chairs are downstage next to the Empty Tables, revolve them upstage where it's (hopefully) dark so they can be removed). Do the show in front of a black traveler or scrim for this purpose (no cyc).

The gate can be a simple element. Two columns joined by the wrought-iron gate. 10' wide by 2' thick is about all that's necessary. This can be on wheels.

Barricade can come in as halves -- one from SR and one from SL, joined in the middle. They need not combine to make the entire 40'. Dress the ends with whiskey (spirits) barrels, burlap sacks filled with cotton batting, crates, etc to fill out the scene. The barricade can also be on wagons/wheels. The entrance and exit of the barricade can be choreographed as part of the show and can look quite dramatic if done right.

Window gobos on the rear traveler helped me a lot to suggest scenic elements for Master of the House, Rue Plumet, etc. Slowly fading them in and out can suggest passage of distance during "On My Own". ESPECIALLY if Eponine walks the revolve as it is turning under her feet, but in the opposite direction. This way, you get the rhythm of her walking, but she's standing still and can remain in one isolated special. Same thing can be done during the first half of I Dreamed a Dream (but without the windows :) ).

The cart is the most difficult to get right without looking campy. We used a large wheel-barrow "chariot" type thing. I wasn't totally happy with ours. YMMV. Some snap changes involving lighting can help this, but it's still tough.

Plenty of [-]great[/-] grate gobos projected from overhead to suggest the sewer scene. Again, fading them in and out as characters pass under them helps suggest passage of distance.

A scrim mid-stage (whether on a traverse or fly) can help tremendously for preparing scenes behind other scenes (setting up "Lovely Ladies/The Docks" during I Dreamed a Dream, for example).

The bridge railing for Javert's Suicide can be lightweight and simple. A properly-rigged "vinyl fence" section, properly painted, can be swiftly flown out as lights fade and he flails his arms to give the appearance of falling.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas without telling you how to design the show.

One other thing: coordinate with your lighting designer. Les Mis is best approached by "controlling darkness". Tight areas and specials and nearly constant use of a haze machine can work wonders -- especially for making sets appear bigger than they really are. The show can be done with minimal sets as long as enough is hidden by lighting. As mentioned above, window and grate gobos can help suggest scenic elements. A lot of beamage in the air (gobos from ellipsoidals seen streaking through midair [by use of haze]) can help add a lot of interesting texture and grit to otherwise empty air.

Last edited:
Wow Les thanks!! Didn't expect such and awesome response so quickly! God, I love CB!

Sent from my Galaxy S3

You're welcome! I did the show about ten years ago and at about the same level you're working on right now (high school). Loved the show, and have been a huge fan ever since. Obviously, I served as the lighting designer, but I paid special attention to all other aspects of the show, right down to the orchestra pit. I'm excited about possibly doing the show again in the near future!

Oh, and I updated my advice about window gobos. Just another idea you can possibly use concerning people "walking" without them having to move around the stage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back