Light Box Floor Framing?

lipinski

So I've been tasked with building a 8'x8' boxing ring that doubles as a light box. My budget for this section needs to fall around 3k. I'm dropping half of it on 2 sheets of 3/4" plexi. My current plan is to build a 2x4 Butt jointed box that spans the perimeter forming a toe rail and putting a 2x4 frame on face underneath so the edges of the plexi are supported. But I have to have some supports spanning the center seam and 4' centers (ideally 2' centers, thier's a lot going on on top of this, it's a boxing ring). Then it's getting a layer of epoxxy clear coat.
crap drafting copy.jpg
To the theatre gods, I apologize for this drafting. It was done in photoshop elements. I don't have my CAD with me. Sorry.

Anyways, if anyone has a good idea for a structure that doesn't impede an even light spread let me know. I'd really like to avoid having to tell a designer that he has to deal with big black lines through his deck. Or other advise for this project. It'll be a fun one.

The designer might want to make sure its legal to have plexi as a boxing ring under the governing body. I would think they would be pretty picky about the surface there fighting on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back