Lighting Fixtures

I'll second going with Blizzard fixtures for this application. The Q/6+ features 12 - 10w quad diodes. Six offer RGBA color mixing and the other six offer RGBW color mixing. With a MAP price of $ 299.99 you can pair them up with a simple DMX controller like Chauvet's Obey 40 for under $ 120.00.

Another fixture to consider is the Chauvet slim par pro:
Products » SlimPAR
It has gotten decent reviews, has a dimming curve that many find acceptable, and plays nice with video.
Whichever direction you go, see if local vendors can get you a sample to test to see if it will really work for your application.
It would be too easy to go to the nearest banjo center and buy a low budget kit which doesn't even begin to cover your needs, so it ends up collecting dust.

Another fixture to consider is the Chauvet slim par pro:

It would be too easy to go to the nearest banjo center and buy a low budget kit which doesn't even begin to cover your needs, so it ends up collecting dust.

Many would consider Chauvet to be the low budget kit that doesn't even begin to cover most applications' needs.

Many would consider Chauvet to be the low budget kit that doesn't even begin to cover most applications' needs.

I'd respectfully disagree rather strongly here as to the suitability of Chauvet gear for the situation. I've dealt with a lot of the newer Chauvet gear recently and it's a lot different than the stuff of a few years ago. Their newer COLORado stuff is great, their LED movers are really best-in-class, and stuff like the SlimPAR Pro with the durable housing is really great for applications like this. I'd also recommend their linear fixtures if you're looking for a wall-washing unit, OP.

One note: Don't try to max the D4DMX at 2400 watts. That is right at the 20Amp limit not counting on voltage drop for your power run. stay closer to 1800 to 2000w.

If I could simplify what your trying to do is to add color and punch to a youth worship service, that has to be set and struck each Friday. I am guessing that the regular Sunday service is the broadcast video so I Don't think color will be a big issue.

Keep it simple. Use the LED pars less budget, quicker up and down time. You can bolt a base and wheels (only 2 on each) to a vertical truss clamp on the lights and have them pre-wired. Tilt it back and roll it out. It would be nice to get some fabric to sweep and bounce light off.

We have a church in a box set up for one of our rental campuses, we do a full set up each week, 16 led, 2 trusses, board, monitor, cables, (sound, video, stage) programing and rehearsal all in about 2 hours. Strike is only 45 minutes into a trailer.

Try this link password "free" It will be up for a few weeks. Private Video on Vimeo This is permanent install Gymatorium, Source4-19 from FOH and Elation pars as washes on floor and top of wall, and back light on band and vocals.

Other videos
http://vimeo.com/33310861
http://vimeo.com/40495595

If you go with LED use a Local vendor, not just on line. I have about 85 various elation LEDs in three venues. I had a few go bad but no question or problem to get it replaced. in one venue, elation traced it to a bad solder batch and replaced all 17 in that same batch, (even though they were still working).

Last edited:
We have a unit that is on the level of the Elation and Blizzard units, but at a better price. They are all great units. Not Vari-Lites, but they get the job done. If you would like more information, feel free to PM me or take a look at the lights in action on our website.

Last edited:
I just did some research for a customer looking for some LED fixtures for a Broadcast Studio overseas and one of the suggestions I received took me to LED Fixtures | The Black Tank. They offer some very nice (although expensive) RGBW, WNC (Warm/Neutral/Cool white), and UV fixtures each of which is in a 4" cubed housing. While I have no direct experience with them, their specs (designed for Broadcast so they should work with cameras, 50W power draw, RGBW output of 1200 lumens and WNC output of 3110 lumens) combined with their small profile would seem to make them a prime candidate for your venue.

For DMX control, the BlueLite X1-Mini (full disclosure - I'm the manufacturer and distributor) is very popular among HOW venues. Among other more standard features (up to 16 Universe of DMX control, ArtNET in and out, etc) , the X1 products offer you the ability to automate shows to SMPTE timecode, plug in any low cost (or hi-dollar console if you have one) external DMX console to have physical knobs and buttons available rather than using a keyboard and mouse for control, use MIDI control for control inputto the BlueLite Software, as well as having support apps that will sync our 'Event Lists' to you PC's CD or Windows Media Player playlist. PM me if you'd like additional info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back