Lighting "nodes" every where, but what universe are they?

My IT department has no idea there are multiple lighting and audio ethernet based systems. all with WiFi, in use in our building. I'm never involving them either.

We'll keep it our little secret, too! ✅

A couple years back, at a local venue I got away with hanging a WAP on the pass-thru RJ45 on the VoiP phone in a store room for several months. Only powered it up on rehearsal and show days, I.T. Freely didn't notice it on the network until traffic to the switch port went sky high one night - M$ pushed a Win10 update and a several machines started downloads. My guess is somewhere around 10GB of traffic and the network monitor shut down the switch port because we lost the phone, too. The next day everything worked again. FWD to this year and everyone had to sign an "IT agreement" that (among other things) makes unauthorized additions to the network a termination-level offense. The odd thing - they never restricted the switch port and it's still full speed, all protocols, and Mr Freely ran some CAT5 and connected a simple, unmanaged switch and left it for us. I'm not gonna ask, I'm just gonna leave the WAP at home...

Yeah, yeah, yeah, DHCP reservations. :)

What happens when a) your DHCP server dies and you don't notice or b) someone *drops an extra DHCP server on your LAN and you don't realize it*?

Had both happen, and not even on production nets.

The only DHCP problem reservations *do* protect you from is "ran out of available leases". (Had that happen twice this year. Hate VoIP. )
@Jay Ashworth Tell us how you really feel.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

That you have had no issues is the reason why you don't have a preference against DHCP, not the other way round. :)

If you'd ever had to *diagnose a problem* on an all DHCP network -- especially if you came in a day after -- you would more likely understand...

I have run into, at a major state university, the "you shall have NO WAP besides our WAPs" and "all WAPS are served through our campus central WAP servers" and "10.101.x.x is not a routable segment therefore no WAP for you"

I have run into, at a major state university, the "you shall have NO WAP besides our WAPs" and "all WAPS are served through our campus central WAP servers" and "10.101.x.x is not a routable segment therefore no WAP for you"
This is exactly the mentality I was referring to.

SOLVED

It turns out the good o'le turn it off and turn it on again fixes all!

Took your advice and looked around "Concert" (neato.) Sure enough the device was not found, or discoverable, after unplugging the node from the switch, the red light went away and it popped back online, and all looks hunky dory!

I may have misunderstood the ruling, but I believe FCC has decided that the ability baked into some enterprise-level Wifi management systems to look for "unauthorized" BSSIDs in their range, and run deassociate attacks against their clients violates FCC regs, and if you get caught at it -- as some hotel chains did a few years back -- they will land on you.

That you have had no issues is the reason why you don't have a preference against DHCP, not the other way round. :)

If you'd ever had to *diagnose a problem* on an all DHCP network -- especially if you came in a day after -- you would more likely understand...

I believe in "don't fix what ain't broke". ETC has no preference of DHCP off the console vs. static. They essentially state both methods work. I could spend the time setting static IP's on dozens of nodes, many racks, consoles, etc... but have never had an issue with DHCP, thus will leave alone what works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back