Lightronics FXLD100ECMY and FXLD100E LED ellipsoidals

jgels

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about these. Lightronics Lighting Control - LED Ellipsoidal Lighting Fixtures Particularly how their light output compares to conventional ellipsoidals. These seem like an intriguing and possibly affordable led ellipsoidal option. I don't know much about cmy mixing except that it is basically a wheel. Which makes me maybe worry a little bit about durability.

Of course the led source four is supposedly coming out soon. Those will be expensive but I wonder how expensive...if it would be worth it for my theatre.

A little background. My school's theatre has 16 channels with all but four of them permanently two-fered so I am looking into led options since it would allow me more flexibility, have built in color changing and use less energy. With a full set of led lights it would also make the use of the auditorium a possibility for shows. Our auditorium currently has nothing in terms of theatrical lighting. So even the archaic outlets could handle a number of led lights.

Thanks

... Particularly how their light output compares to conventional ellipsoidals.
Center Beam Lux at 1 Meter Projection Distance:
50°: 7500 lux, 36°: 12650 lux, 26°: 16200 lux, 19°: 23500 lux
If I've done the math correctly...
for an ETC Source Four with HPL575/115 lamp:
50°: 39000 lux, 36°: 78000 lux, 26°: 151000 lux, 19°: 209000 lux

... Of course the led source four is supposedly coming out soon. Those will be expensive but I wonder how expensive...if it would be worth it for my theatre.
I'm sure it was on here somewhere, I heard the number $2500 bandied about. (Which conveniently compares directly to the price of an LEDko.)

Not to besmirch the Lightronics fixture, but the concept of CMY subtractive mixing, that is, putting a filter in the optical path, seems to me to be bass-ackwards thinking for an LED fixture, where the marketing is all about efficiency.

Yeah. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to get them with the cmy being a motorized fixture. Especially given that it doesn't seem all that bright in the first place before using subtractive color mixing.

If I've done the math correctly...
for an ETC Source Four with HPL575/115 lamp:
50°: 39000 lux, 36°: 78000 lux, 26°: 151000 lux, 19°: 209000 lux

I'm not sure you did the math correctly. A 36 degree Source Four is 90,885 candela, which would be 8450 lux at 1m.

But I know I didn't do the math correctly before posting (rushed to a meeting). Derek's numbers are closer. Candela and Lux at 1 metre are equivalent so 90,885 candela = 90,885 lux at 1m. Candela, measured in steradians concerns the angular span of the light. Lux varies as the square of the distance between the source and the surface being illuminated.

In any event, the calculation of candela, lumen, and lux are measured using light at 555nm wavelength (green) light so it is difficult to compare LED and incandescent sources without knowing the test procedures used by the vendor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back