lights and backdrop rigging

We need to fit a light board, sound board, the board operators as well as possibly 1 or 2 add'l people - assistants, etc..

If the structure is "semi-permanent" it would also be helpful to have the ability to use a ladder from the structure to adjust the light on the electric batten above that position. Because the pipe is about 20' high, if the structure is in place we cannot get the lift into position to adjust fixtures.

So....probably 12 'W x 6'D x 10'H or so,give or take a foot or 2 either way. Enough to fit 2 folding tables and 4 chairs and high enough to look over the audience and access the pipe.

Phil

I was with you right up until you said the platform needed to be 10 feet high.
You're also definitely not going to find something meeting that description in any staging manufacturer's catalog.
It will definitely require quite a bit of weight at the base to remain stable.

Hi,

It doesn't "need" to be 10' high, the thought was that IF you were to put a ladder on the the platform to adjust lights, you're a bit more secure using a smaller ladder with a smaller footprint on the platform.

Right now we're functioning with about 36" H platforms that can be moved when we need to use the lift.

I was thinking 12" square truss could work, the issue is the platform. The other issue is that, because this is a multi-use facility, the height would prevent "others" from accessing the equipment that doesn't have a locked access point once they are in the room. I'm thinking possibly a removable ladder that could be locked up when not in use.

Phil

Hi,

It doesn't "need" to be 10' high, the thought was that IF you were to put a ladder on the the platform to adjust lights, you're a bit more secure using a smaller ladder with a smaller footprint on the platform.

Right now we're functioning with about 36" H platforms that can be moved when we need to use the lift.

I was thinking 12" square truss could work, the issue is the platform. The other issue is that, because this is a multi-use facility, the height would prevent "others" from accessing the equipment that doesn't have a locked access point once they are in the room. I'm thinking possibly a removable ladder that could be locked up when not in use.

Phil

I might be missing something, but what if you built yourself some decks, 2x4 framing on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and then bolted a few of them together. You could build a little table on one side for consoles, maybe 2' deep, use the deck the long ways and attach 3 of them together for a 8x12 deck. bolts for your decks together, 2x4s screwed into an L shape, 6 per deck, sway braced both ways, make it probably up to 4 or 5 feet tall, depending on how solid your consturction is. Heck, you could make it 12' tall but you would probably want it to be bigger and use a more engineered solution. Alternatively, you could buy a scaf tower, decks and railings, and have one for lights and one for sound, make it as tall as it needs to be. Ladders built in, could even have them on wheels if you want so that moving them out to use the lift would be simple. They make railings for them, I dont know if you can get them in black but you could probably paint them, or paint on a per show basis.

The issue is "permanent" structure. As an overhang in a school it would require a sprinkler system underneath. If it is built of wood, I don't see a reasonable person recognizing that a 8 x 12 wooden platform is temporary.

We build platforms for stages like you're describing for stages, but the same rules don't apply.

Phil

I might be missing something, but what if you built yourself some decks, 2x4 framing on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, and then bolted a few of them together. You could build a little table on one side for consoles, maybe 2' deep, use the deck the long ways and attach 3 of them together for a 8x12 deck. bolts for your decks together, 2x4s screwed into an L shape, 6 per deck, sway braced both ways, make it probably up to 4 or 5 feet tall, depending on how solid your consturction is. Heck, you could make it 12' tall but you would probably want it to be bigger and use a more engineered solution. Alternatively, you could buy a scaf tower, decks and railings, and have one for lights and one for sound, make it as tall as it needs to be. Ladders built in, could even have them on wheels if you want so that moving them out to use the lift would be simple. They make railings for them, I dont know if you can get them in black but you could probably paint them, or paint on a per show basis.

I second the idea of using portable scaffold. It's portable, safe, and as shiben pointed out can even have railings, ladders, and in some cases even stairs.

I live in the Milwaukee area, if you would like you can message me directly. I could stop out sometime and we could brainstorm something that would work for you.

The issue is "permanent" structure. As an overhang in a school it would require a sprinkler system underneath. If it is built of wood, I don't see a reasonable person recognizing that a 8 x 12 wooden platform is temporary.

We build platforms for stages like you're describing for stages, but the same rules don't apply.

Phil

Can totally be temporary. We have built an entire 300 seat theater in a 60'x60' black box out of wood, all temporary structures. Its all about how you discuss it, and if you can take it down pretty easily, then its temporary. I still think a scaffold is a better choice, mainly because you just need to buy it and assemble it, no engineering required.

I guess it all depends on the fire marshall, but all involved (custodial, administration, contractors, myself) all believe that a wooden structure (like the one in the earlier post) wouldn't fly with our loocal building inspector as a temporary structure.

The scaffold idea could certainly work, but would have to look into larger sizes. A quick search only came up with max 4' depth. I'm not sure about tying together.

Will continue to look, the ability to roll the scaffold to move the lift in place sounds great, but I'm not familiar enough with that type of structure to know if a rolling 8 x 12' scaffold is possible regardless of height.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back