Control/Dimming Lightshark Console

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
Neat concept and the price is right, but after reading the manual, I think it's way too simple. For instance, it doesn't look there's any way to adjust cue timings.

I've played with one a couple months ago. Very easy to use, and that is the main goal of the platform. One main issue initially was the lack of a fixture library, but as with any console manufacturer, that's a work in progress. Ill have hands on again in a month and well see how it's improved.

Actually, I use a LS-1 on a daily basis. We plan of buying a Core of our other stages. In the US I deal with Blizzard. They update fixtures at least once if not twice a week, In a pinch, it has a pretty good fixture editor that will get you close. Customer service seems to be very good for early adopters, in fact I just sent them infor on all of our fixtures and they sent me back a complete library. Being able to move around with an iPad is wonderful. It's handy to have control of the lights from the stage. Now, we have Sound,Video and lighting all on iPads.

It’ll work with any WiFi capable tablet. The interface is just a web page so you could use as many as you wish. The LS has its own built in wireless that you connect to. We have all of our audio consoles on their own network, so I added a static ip so I can move around the entire complex. If need be, I’ll use my phone.

The product is completely software agnostic, as long as it has a web browser, you're good to go!!

Well, that's actually a bug, for me; I want a dedicated app for something that's as real-time as light or sound control. I'd be ok programming on a web app, but not running -- or busking, especially.

I want guaranteed sub-10ms response when I hit Go, and I don't trust a web app to do that.

Everybody works differently. The freedom of movement works for us. That being said any lag is unnoticeable in what we do with it.

I want guaranteed sub-10ms response when I hit Go, and I don't trust a web app to do that.

10 ms is unattainable with any current physical hardware. Older technology was faster due to the dedicated hardware but that went out the window when we moved to plug-and-play and universal bus architectures.

Keyboard latency is on the order of 15 to 60 ms before it has written a complete USB packet. Add the latency for the computer to process the interrupt, assuming it is an interrupt-driven system and not a polling loop. Travel time of the mechanical switch probably accounts for most of that delay but scanning the keyboard matrix and serializing the key press is not instantaneous. Debounce delays can also play a factor depending on the design; it certainly limits the interval between successive key presses.

I'm getting between 10 and 20ms from the hard GO keys on my Mac Mini (running QLab) and my Ion, no more than 30 (yes, I actually think I can detect down that far). It's certainly no more than 50ms on the iPads that drive the Ion and the LS9-32, *using the dedicated apps*.

I'm measuring that by the timing of a mic channel opening or closing, and of an LED luminaire going on and off. Well under a 10th of a second, in both cases.

So I'll loosen that to 50ms, but I don't expect a web app to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back