Live outdoor

llewop

I have two Peavey SP2's. Now I am powering each one with a Crown 602 in bridged mono. Is this too much amp power?
I am interested in a QSC PXL 3602 amplifier. Is that a good choice?
Is anyone using a setup siimilar to these and if so what are your thoughts?

I have two Peavey SP2's. Now I am powering each one with a Crown 602 in bridged mono. Is this too much amp power?
"Too much" is relative to not just the equipment but also the application and the operation. So without knowing anything on those other aspects, one has to rely on some sort of generalized assumptions for a generic situation. Based on that and assuming that you mean an XLS 602 amp and are running the SP2s full range passive, then you should be okay. For that situation an amp rated 750W to 1000W might be appropriate but the 1200W of an XLS 602 bridge mono into an 8 Ohm load is not far off, about 1-2dB higher, and once adjusted for that being a 1khz, 0.5% THD based rating is probably a pretty good fit.

I am interested in a QSC PXL 3602 amplifier. Is that a good choice?
The important issue here is probably knowing why you are considering changing amps. I can guess that you are thinking of replacing the two XLS 602 amps run bridge mono with a single PLX3602 run stereo. If that is correct then you would be going from 1,200W to 775W per speaker, probably still a decent match for the SP2s but about 2dB less potential output than your current setup.

I got the chance to use a set of SP2s in a high school environment and we actually used a Crown XTi 2000 as our Main amp run in stereo connected to Crowns proprietary Amp < management Software (HiQNet) to adjust the levels of the XTi, this also allowed us to EQ the system throughout the show as the XTi has a built in 5 band Eq...
Don't know if your willing to purchase but the XTi is a great choice for the SP2s, if not just stick with the Crown as I've tended to find that Crown Amps are the most durable and have amazing sound reproduction...

I got the chance to use a set of SP2s in a high school environment and we actually used a Crown XTi 2000 as our Main amp run in stereo connected to Crowns proprietary Amp < management Software (HiQNet) to adjust the levels of the XTi, this also allowed us to EQ the system throughout the show as the XTi has a built in 5 band Eq...
Don't know if your willing to purchase but the XTi is a great choice for the SP2s, if not just stick with the Crown as I've tended to find that Crown Amps are the most durable and have amazing sound reproduction...

Durable? Yeah, I guess so.
The last system I built, in 1990, used Crown and you could put a tire iron across the outputs and not hurt them.

Old school Crown amps are a different beast to the new intelligent ones. The ITechs have a habit of turning into a pyrotechnic device when you least want it. They are particularly unhappy when the ambient temperature gets up a bit.

Since the XTi series are rather similar to the ITechs, one must reason that similar results are not unexpected...

Durable? Yeah, I guess so.
The last system I built, in 1990, used Crown and you could put a tire iron across the outputs and not hurt them.
Crown started in business to provide tape recorders, transmitters and other electronics products for missionaries, which is one reason why they developed the approach of products designed to be rugged and reliable, and Crown remained a company very deeply rooted in strongly held personal ethics and beliefs. When Crown became part of the Harman family in 2000 I had difficulty envisioning a much greater difference in corporate personalities and while that actually seems to have been a more successful transition than I expected, I certainly do not have the same perception of Crown reliability now that I did in the past.

Odd the varied experiences people have with a brand. Two sound companies around here invested in itech and love them so much they keep adding more. Not to replace but to supplement. Went from 12 to 48 units in 18 months.

I've been using this XTi on tour now for almost a year, have not had a single problem with it..and just to add to len's comment above, most of the rental houses around here in Toronto have been adding Crown amps to their inventory as well at an alarming rate....the iTech seems to be becoming one of the most standard touring amps in the world now...

Ok, let me elaborate... Crown hired a team of engineers to design the power supply for the ITechs. The power supply is one of the best designs out there.

The DSP on the other hand is less reliable. And when the DSP dies, the amp is out.

Now it very well may be that it's an issue related to the Australian climate. We get a bit hotter than to US and the UK and so cooling systems matter. But in the middle of winter last year for World Youth Day, EVERY one of the ITechs that went to one of the sites came back dead, they failed a couple a day, not a single catastrophic event...

So frankly I don't trust them. Crown are manufacturing in China if I recall now and the quality has dropped to reflect that. They are no longer the reliable product of the MAs...

Give me lab.gruppen any day but unless the door needs to be held open, I'll pass on the ITechs...

So frankly I don't trust them. Crown are manufacturing in China if I recall now and the quality has dropped to reflect that. They are no longer the reliable product of the MAs...

My XTi 4000 is made in the US. I think all the XTi's are.

I would still rather have a QSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back