Looking for a console asap

Pav636

Hey Guys, Im currently using a software to run movers, My shows consist of usually 8-15 movers with few dimmers for stage pars and lekos.

I really want to look into getting an console, but here are some issues

-We have a lot of chinese base lights where the dmx profile needs to be made. (Not great at doing this)
-I need to be able to make edits and mover the lights on the fly if need be.
-Price is an issue, I would need training also, I have called a few vendors in San Francisco area and they won't provide any training on console unless I buy whichever console I want first.
-Console must have screens or be able to add screens.
-I have never used a console so this makes it ever worse, where I would not know what to look into, my current software I use is very simple where I can point and have it do any of the built in macros ie( figure 8, circle etc) Which is great.
-I love the idea of having a 3d visualizer, as most places I go I may not have direct line of sight of some lights.

I really like the AVOlite Tiger touch 2 but the price is much more than what I can afford.
Any suggestion would be great, I would need a lot of support on the back end as well, with whichever console suggestions you experienced users may have.

-Pav

Last edited:
I'm a bit out of the loop on lighting stuff, but I've worked with the local big lighting company a lot lately. They have a lenovo all-in-one touchscreen PC with the GrandMA onPC 2 software, with a fader bank and programming bank. I think they have something similar in HOG form. My company doesn't deal in lighting, so I don't have access to price lists, but those seem like very cost-effective solutions.

If you are not opposed to a computer based solution, you can look at USB wings to provide more direct hands-on control from a number of manufacturers. Some of my favorites include Chamsys:
ChamSys USA :: MagicQ Maxi Wing
ChamSys USA :: PC Wing Compact
ChamSys USA :: MagicQ Mini Wing

High End:
Nano Hog 4

GrandMA:
MA Lighting – MA onPC command wing: MA Lighting International GmbH

Or Martin:
Product - M2PC™

All of the above manufacturers will allow you to download the software free of charge to try out to see if it "thinks" the way you do.

If you prefer a dedicated console, small-format consoles, using the same software as their PC-based brethren, are available from
Martin:
Product - M2GO™

High End:
Hedge Hog 4 Console

And Chamsys:
ChamSys USA :: MQ70
ChamSys USA :: MQ60
ChamSys USA :: MQ40

Best,
John

I just bought the ChamSys PC Wing. Add a touchscreen laptop and you have a powerful bit of control for about $3k. They schedule training sessions about once a month. They will build whatever profile you need.

The wing also comes with sound in to make some sound-to-light stuff happen. They have recently released some media server software that looks quite interesting. I played with it last night and was able to patch video playback to a fader. By networking in a second computer, I can control two projectors from my console etc. The visualizer is included in the MagicQ software.

Really powerful bit of kit for people on a budget. Download the MagicQ software now and order the MagicDMX dongle for $16 and you can try it out on your computer.

How is the Nano Hog 4? I noticed that it doesn't have a dimmer wheel, something the MA onPC wing does have. Is the wheel useful when working with intelligent fixtures? I ask as a high school student whose only real past (physical) console experience is with an ETC Expression 3.

Last edited:
One of the rotary encoders has intensity mapped to it, should you wish to set levels that way, though I find I typically key in my intensity values (regardless of what console I am on).

Best,
John

Awesome, that gives me some reassurance. I was more wondering about manually fading in effects, similar to the MA onPC / grandMA 2, although I suppose there must be another way, considering that High End Systems is a well-known brand. If this console is good enough for large live events, I suppose I probably won't be limited by its options. Thanks for the reply :)

Last edited:
Typically, in a programmer-based console like the Hog or Chamsys, I would build that look in blind and then fade that blind content to live using whatever time I choose.

Best,
John

The MA2 wings are great, but will run you as much as some real consoles. The command wing MSRP is around $8250, real world price is probably $6-7K
The most cost effective and still very versatile option from above is the Chamsys, I have only poked around on a Chamsys a few times, and have not really used hog since hog 2, but I have often heard Chamsys described as Hog-but-better. I have a few friends who bought the dongle and thought it was pretty good for one-offs.

The MA2 software is free, but you need MA hardware to get DMX out. You could learn, and pre-program shows on a PC the rent a command wing or console when needed.

Other options are to use a midi controller mapped to be the faders and buttons of the console, it is harder or not possible to map the encoders for moving lights though, on some software.

You could look around for a used Chamsys wing, they were not too expensive to begin with.

@rmsy The Fader wheel is nice to have, but dimmer is also on a rotary encoder, or you could use the keypad or presets. I would give up the dimmer wheel to have the screen navigation encoder added to the Wing. IMO The GrandMA is more versatile in "busking" or "punting" than the hog. With the GrandMA I have actually started a show with almost no sequences recorded, and ended up with a fully functional punt page by song 3. Not the best practice, but shows the versatility of the console.

Cause on some show's your not going to fly very far without at least 2 !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Okay, okay, I give in: why do they call these things wings? ...
It can be traced back to the multi-scene preset consoles of the 1960s. Large consoles had a "master" section, and one or more "preset" banks (wings) off to the side of the main desk.
proxy.php

The Lighting Console Gallery Photo Gallery by Paul Pelletier at pbase.com

Fast forward to the 1990s, when Flying Pig Systems introduced an "Expansion Wing" (aka "rock wing") adding more faders/handles to the WholeHog II.
proxy.php

Used Wholehog II + Wing by High End Systems - Item# 22342
One might find irony that a company called Flying Pig re-introduced the concept of the wing. Or not.

From there, it was just a short jump to calling ANY external surface (but not the main console) a wing. Whether PC-based or not, most consoles now offer programming wings, playback wings, fader wings, and so forth.

( @SteveB 's answer may be better. )

Since you considering the Tiger Touch II, take a look at the Titan Mobile. Exact same software and abilities including the PixelMapper and Quicksketch labeling.
The Titan Mobile plugs into a laptop, PC or even a surface 2 tablet with 1 USB cable. List is $3850.00 you can also get an additional fader wing that gives you 20 more playbacks and 20 more executors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back