Mixers/Consoles Looking for a new Sound Board/Console

felixm

Hi all,
I'm thinking of a new sound board. I did a show last night where it would have been nice to have a few more aux sends. The board I'm using now is a Yamaha MG206C, it is a nice board just doesn't have enough auxes. Here is what I'm looking for:

24-32 channel frame.
6-8 auxs, If it has 6 auxes I need at least 5 to be pre-fader
Price 1k to 3k
Also needs to be mobile

I was thinking that the Yamaha IM8 series looked nice but if you can think of any thing else that would be awesome.

Have you looked at either the Mackie Onyx 24-4 or Mackie Onyx 32-4? Mackie makes a very good, strong, and powerful mixer. Their customer service is awesome, they've helped us extremely quickly for the few issues we've had.

It's got only 6 aux sends, but you can set pre or post fader with the press of a button. It's very portable, with built in handles on the side. It's what we use at my school, and it's more than we need. It costs about 1,700 new.

24-4 about page, 32-4 about page

I've never used an IM8, but I've heard there are much better choices.

Check out the APB ProDesk. It's a really, really great board.

I would also look at the Allen & Heath GL series- not really sure which one will fit your price range..

In this situation, I'd probably go with an Allen and Heath GL2400-24 or GL2400-32 if you're fine with 6 auxes. They're towards the mid to high end of your price range (but not over it), and they're bulletproof desks.

If you can find one for the right price, a Soundcraft GB4 would be sweet. Those things are great.

The IM8 looks like a decent desk - but I haven't had any experience with it. I haven't had any trouble with any other yammie desk I've used, large or small.

Onyx yes, otherwise no Mackies - much too hard to repair owing to the mono-PCB construction. Allen & Heath are my favorite.

If it fits the budget, the O1V96 has many advantages over analog consoles.

+1 for Allen & Heath GL2400 ... you will find overwhelming support for this board in your price range due to reputation, reliability and features.

And if you had another $1000, the GL2800.

+2 for the Allen & Heath GL2400. Go for it!

I started on an Allen and Heath GL 4000 which had 10 aux sends and reciently updated to the yamaha M7CL which has 14 or 16
The M7CL standard configuration has 16 Omni outs, but also has expansion slot(s), and like most digital consoles the functional use of the physical outputs are assignable. The M7CL also has 16 mix buses, in addition to 8 matrix buses and LCR buses. Thus the M7CL does not 'have' any specific quantity of aux outputs, it could have no aux mixes/outputs or effectively up to 24 aux mixes/outputs depending on how it is configured and programmed.

Used gear can be a great resource but consoles are one area where I would be wary of used gear without being able to try it out first. Consoles coming out of some touring/rental or club applications may clean up nice but also may have been pretty abused. I have seen people get great deals on used consoles that were like new but I've also had many experiences working with consoles with dead channels, noise, etc. then coming in the same venue the next time to see a nice new console and wondering what happened to the old one.

I would highly recommend a Yamaha 01v96, It will meet your number of aux sends, plus the advantage of being able to recall scenes is an amazing asset! There are too many advantages to name, from the eq to the routing ability and the effects and dynamics, its pretty amazing what it can do, trust me, once you try it, you wont want to go back. Also, the ability to take my tablet out into the house, and hear what the audience is hearing was a godsend! And, if you don't want to deal with switching layers, you can always cascade a second 01v96 for more control. However, if you want to stick in the analog domain, The Allen and Heath gl2800 is a great mixer if you can swing the extra cost, I use one weekly at my church and I love the feel and functionality of it! Also, if your ok with 6 mixes and 4 subgroups, the gl2400 would be a perfect fit, its very similar in build quality. I cant comment on the yamaha im8, but it looks pretty good, except im a little bit skeptical on the one knob compression, does it work well for you right now?

Let us know what you end up choosing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back