Looking for a Old Type Lighting Board

khil

Hello,
I am a high school student in Blue Hill, Maine. My school does not have a theater so we practice in the gym with about 10 lights. I am looking for a new light control board that is not DMX. The lights have Newton plugs and are not permanent so the board has to be mobile. Also, the power has to come from Newton outlets. Any ideas or help would be great, thanks.

Yeah, I haven't heard of Newton plugs either.

DMX doesn't really relate to what goes on regarding the mains wiring/connections. Is that the impression you're under? DMX is just the control signal - the lights themselves could care less if they were being controlled via DMX, Hubbell Telescope, or Hamster Wheel.

What type of system (if any) is already in place? Analog dimmer with Cinch-Jones, surge protector, etc? Add more info and we'll stop prodding ;).

Last edited:
Why not DMX? How are you going to dim these lights? If you don't run them through some sort of portable dimmer they will just be on at full with no control over them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What i meant by the non-DMX is that the dimmer or control board needs to be separate plugs for each channel and most DMX systems i have used have not had that. The current controller takes two edison plugs in and has 6 edisons plugs out, each with its own slider. Thanks for replying so quickly

... The current controller takes two edison plugs in and has 6 edisons plugs out, each with its own slider. Thanks for replying so quickly
DoveSystems Scenemaster Six DUG
8904-looking-old-type-lighting-board-sm6__79110.1318353790.1280.1280.gif

So do you want another just like it or something different? Note that for the same price one can likely purchase a larger, more functional system, for less money.

For example,
One of these: http://www.stagespot.com/control-category/cntrl-console/leviton-2-scene-8-16-ch-controller.html
and two of these: http://www.stagespot.com/control-category/cntrl-dimmer/leviton-d4dmx-md-dimmer-pack.html
and two data cables (XLR3 Microplex, or optional DMX on XLR5).

Were one to go with a lesser brand, one could get 12ch two-scene preset console and 3x 4ch dimmer, shoebox. Would then need three DMX cables to daisy chain the dimmer pack s.

Attachments

• sm6__79110.1318353790.1280.1280.gif
    sm6__79110.1318353790.1280.1280.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
The Scenemaster Six IS an all-in-one system. On the back are two AC inputs and six duplex Edison dimmer outputs. Dove Systems is the only company I know of still building control console and dimmers into one enclosure. They used to offer a single-scene version for about $600, but that seems to have been discontinued.

However, having the console near the operator and the dimmer pack (s) near the fixture s saves running long extension cords.

Last edited:
Yes, six channels does appear to be the max for this type of system.

What reason in particular are you against having separate dimmer packs? As derekleffew said, you can get a modular system with a lot more control for the same (or less) money depending on whether you go with a 'pro' or 'dj' level board.

That said, if you only have 10 lights and don't plan on getting any more, 6 channels is likely enough. However, that may not always be the case, and this type of system cannot be expanded.

Last edited:
That's the system we have for our black box classroom and it's easy to use, control, and set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Scenemaster Six IS an all-in-one system. On the back are two AC inputs and six duplex Edison dimmer outputs. Dove Systems is the only company I know of still building control console and dimmers into one enclosure. They used to offer a single-scene version for about $600, but that seems to have been discontinued.

However, having the console near the operator and the dimmer pack (s) near the fixture s saves running long extension cords.

You're so right about the long extension cords.

I just finished working on a show in a classroom that used 2 Scenemasters and 12 instruments mounted on 4 trees. What a freaking pain! Every instrument had to have a cable that ran back to the board. That meant running long power cables along the walls, under the radiators, and over the exit doors. Not only that, we had to run power cables to the other side of the room so we could plug into outlets that were on a separate circuit from the outlet we had next to the board so everything wasn't on the same circuit. If we had a separate dimmer pack for each tree, we would have just needed 1 power cable and a DMX line to each pack.

Go with a DMX board and a few dimmer packs...you won't regret it.

You're so right about the long extension cords.

I just finished working on a show in a classroom that used 2 Scenemasters and 12 instruments mounted on 4 trees. What a freaking pain! Every instrument had to have a cable that ran back to the board. That meant running long power cables along the walls, under the radiators, and over the exit doors. Not only that, we had to run power cables to the other side of the room so we could plug into outlets that were on a separate circuit from the outlet we had next to the board so everything wasn't on the same circuit. If we had a separate dimmer pack for each tree, we would have just needed 1 power cable and a DMX line to each pack.

Go with a DMX board and a few dimmer packs...you won't regret it.
I agree with the DMX Board. It gives much more flexibility for the future and it also will start training you to run on current equipment if you are "into" Theatre. You can also look at using a DMX pro and downloading a simple cue - able free software to run on your laptop to the dimmers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back