Looking for DMX controller for architectural installation

Dear all,

I am looking for a DMX controller that can do 3 universes in stand-alone mode for a large-scale architectural installation. "Stand-alone" as in "playing back shows without a computer"...

In the past I've used NicolAudie's Easy Stand Alone product line but they can only do 2 universes in stand-alone. I just made the mistake and bought 2 Madrix Plexus units. Each unit can do 2 universes and it is possible to daisy chain several units together to get 3 or more universes in stand-alone. The hardware is great but unfortunately the Madrix software is geared towards macro effects on large group of fixtures and doesn't give me the precise control over individual fixtures my application requires.

Any advice on a software/hardware package under $5k?
Any experience running 3 or more universes on several Plexus units via ArtNet in with a software other then Madrix and then downloading the show to the Plexus for stand-alone?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Erwin

The new Enttec USB Pro Mk2 will store and run a light sequence, but it is only two universes. Perhaps with 2 units you could achieve what you need? I haven't looked into it's chaining abilities, however. But maybe worth a look.

Dear all,

I am looking for a DMX controller that can do 3 universes in stand-alone mode for a large-scale architectural installation. "Stand-alone" as in "playing back shows without a computer"...

In the past I've used NicolAudie's Easy Stand Alone product line but they can only do 2 universes in stand-alone. I just made the mistake and bought 2 Madrix Plexus units. Each unit can do 2 universes and it is possible to daisy chain several units together to get 3 or more universes in stand-alone. The hardware is great but unfortunately the Madrix software is geared towards macro effects on large group of fixtures and doesn't give me the precise control over individual fixtures my application requires.

Any advice on a software/hardware package under $5k?
Any experience running 3 or more universes on several Plexus units via ArtNet in with a software other then Madrix and then downloading the show to the Plexus for stand-alone?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Erwin

For way under $5K:
www.interactive-online.com makes "SceneStation" a wallbox controller with some cool features. One is that they can link together to form multi-universe control. They also retail for around $600 so three will be as budget friendly as anything you're likely to find. Their main limitation is the complexity of the "show" only 64 scenes that can be linked. There are some color effects in the latest version that I haven't tried out.

Otherwise I can recommend their larger "Cue Server" again you would have to link several but that's pretty simple. Still under $5K.

For way under $5K:
www.interactive-online.com makes "SceneStation" a wallbox controller with some cool features. One is that they can link together to form multi-universe control. They also retail for around $600 so three will be as budget friendly as anything you're likely to find. Their main limitation is the complexity of the "show" only 64 scenes that can be linked. There are some color effects in the latest version that I haven't tried out.

Otherwise I can recommend their larger "Cue Server" again you would have to link several but that's pretty simple. Still under $5K.

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your reply to my post with questions about multi-universe standalone DMX controllers. It looks like you have a lot of experience with the SceneStation and CueServer product line. Do you think I could talk to you over the phone to chat about your experiences?
Maybe e-mail me at [email protected] if you'd be available by phone and if yes, when.
Cheers,
Erwin

I'm not sure why a computer cannot be considered part of a stand alone system. All consoles contain a computer. You might consider Chamsys MagicQ running on a Mac Mini and connected to a Chamsys SnakeSys R4 for 4 universes. All you need to figure out is auto start after loss of power. It might be supported already. Much less than $5k. Powerful programming ability. Easily expandable.

Reliability is the big one. PCs just aren't built with the 24/7 mind set that architectural system need. Most consoles that are computers use a customized OS. Even Chamsys has a rack mounted playback device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back