Looking for someone to help with advising me on the sound equipment we have for a PA.

First off thank you for looking at this. I'm new to this sound system stuff. We have a band with our label and they was in need of a PA for gigging. So we ended up providing some equipment for them.

I'm looking for someone that could advise me how to hook all this stuff up. I def don't want to mess this equipment up. Equipment we have is(nothing fancy):

CFX 12 Channel Mackie Mixer
Crown XLS 2000 power amp
Mackie FR M 1400i power amp
Peavy IPR 1600 power amp
Yamaha S215V Dual 15" club Series V Speakers (pair)
Dual 10" floor monitor/speaker
EV 18" Subs (pair)

Re: Looking for someone to help with advising me on the sound equipment we have for a

First off thank you for looking at this. I'm new to this sound system stuff. We have a band with our label and they was in need of a PA for gigging. So we ended up providing some equipment for them.

I'm looking for someone that could advise me how to hook all this stuff up. I def don't want to mess this equipment up. Equipment we have is(nothing fancy):

Crown XLS 2000 power amp
Peavy IPR 1600 power amp
EV 18" Subs (pair)

Well with this setup, you are probably going to also need some sort of Speaker Processor such as a Nexia or a DBX. You start with the Mixer and you take you Left and Right outs into probably the Mackie amp. Really you can go into anything that has the passthrough option. Then you come out of that to another amp for the subs. Then you connect the speakers to the channels of the corresponding amps. For the monitors you will take the outputs of aux 1 and aux 2 into the inputs of channel 1 and 2 of one of the last unused amp. Then you would connect the monitors to that amp. If you look for the manuals of the amps you can find more specific information. about how exactly to set things up. But just remember that for each speaker has to connect to an amp because non of the speakers you listed were active (plug into AC from the wall).

Hope I helped!

Re: Looking for someone to help with advising me on the sound equipment we have for a

So we ended up providing some equipment for them.

Crown XLS 2000 power amp
Peavy IPR 1600 power amp
EV 18" Subs (pair)
Since this is purely an audio question I went ahead and moved it to what seemed a more appropriate forum.

While buying the equipment without understanding how it works or goes together is far from the ideal approach, that seems to be a moot point now. Maybe the party that sold you the equipment can tell you how they envisioned it all going together and perhaps even provide you a drawing of the intended system connectivity.

Otherwise, there may be some basic questions to address first. One is the actual models of the floor monitors and subwoofers so that they can be best matched to the amplifiers. That might also help ascertain whether a crossover or speaker system processor is required. Another question is whether you already have cables and if so, what you have. And yet another question is who is going to be operating this system and their level of knowledge and experience?

Realistically, your best bet is probably to hire someone local who does live sound for a living and that can assist in getting the system properly setup and help you through a show or two. Not only will that reduce the chances of damaging the equipment, but it will most likely allow you to get better results from the gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back