Microphones Looking to outfit and upgrade sound system for a newly renovated Auditorium..suggestions?

theview

The auditorium that I manage will be going through a renovation soon, and I have been asked to come up with a microphone and equipment wish list...here is where I am looking for some advice. I am not intimately familiar with microphones (various uses, types, etc), what are regularly used here are SM58's for most wired stage applications (I use these for everything from meetings to setting up in front of pit to record a choir/band/orchestra concert) I occasionally use the 2 SM57 mics..but not too often. Then I have a SHURE wireless mic system with ULXP4 that we borrow/loan/rent to use for body mics in musicals.
What I would like to do, along with equipping the space with things like DI boxes and doing what I can to bring us into the future (through adding digital devices) is to supply us with recording mics, better hanging mics for the choir performances, area mics, instrument mics, and possible digital usb mics (not sure what kind of board they are getting). Apart from this, I am not sure what else I should be looking for, other than some more sound cable, adapters, or editing software.

Can anyone suggest anything that I may want to look into, certain microphones for my specific applications, or to another thread where I could find some info, I would greatly appreciate it...little disclosure..I am actor turned technician. ;)

Thanks again.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with what you have. If I was shopping for you, first I'd add more SM57's and SM58's since honestly these are the most useful mics across tons of situations. I really love the SM57- both for instruments and vocals. It has a very forgiving usable 'mic distance'... I put it in front of people who don't know how to speak into a mic... they push it a foot or two away, and I can still get a decent level. We have 11 at our venue. Next up on the food chain would be to pickup some pairs of SM81's. Great overhead mics, chior mics, piano mics, condensor instrument mics, recording mics. Buy in pairs so you can do stereo stuff. If you still have money then maybe get some KSM 137's or 141's. Similar applications as the Sm81's. Now you would have a mic package that can do any band, instrument, or vocalist. If you want more, check out Beta 98d/s clip on mics for a drum set, and get a Beta 52 for acoustic bass. Avoid omni diretional laveliers for actors and choir... those mics are intended for broadcast studios without PA speakers sitting 10' away. But if you must- try and get some Countrymen E6's instead. Also, you're ULXP4 handheld wireless mics are excellent. Can always use more of those.

Don't get overly hung up on mics alone though. If your PA speakers need replacing... then your sound will only be as good as the weakest link. Also keep in mind you're going to need good 31 band graphic EQ, compressors, plus short and tall boom stands to get everything sounding right. The EQ and compression signal processing can be handled pretty budget friendly these days with some of the new digital consoles. Shoot for 32 channels.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'recording' mics. Generally you'll find them to be overly bright for a live situation... and your auditorium is by definition a live situation. Use good 'live' mics and you'll get better recordings.

Sounds like you're off to a good start with what you have. If I was shopping for you, first I'd add more SM57's and SM58's since honestly these are the most useful mics across tons of situations. I really love the SM57- both for instruments and vocals. It has a very forgiving usable 'mic distance'... I put it in front of people who don't know how to speak into a mic... they push it a foot or two away, and I can still get a decent level. We have 11 at our venue. Next up on the food chain would be to pickup some pairs of SM81's. Great overhead mics, chior mics, piano mics, condensor instrument mics, recording mics. Buy in pairs so you can do stereo stuff. If you still have money then maybe get some KSM 137's or 141's. Similar applications as the Sm81's. Now you would have a mic package that can do any band, instrument, or vocalist. If you want more, check out Beta 98d/s clip on mics for a drum set, and get a Beta 52 for acoustic bass. Avoid omni diretional laveliers for actors and choir... those mics are intended for broadcast studios without PA speakers sitting 10' away. But if you must- try and get some Countrymen E6's instead. Also, you're ULXP4 handheld wireless mics are excellent. Can always use more of those.

Don't get overly hung up on mics alone though. If your PA speakers need replacing... then your sound will only be as good as the weakest link. Also keep in mind you're going to need good 31 band graphic EQ, compressors, plus short and tall boom stands to get everything sounding right. The EQ and compression signal processing can be handled pretty budget friendly these days with some of the new digital consoles. Shoot for 32 channels.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'recording' mics. Generally you'll find them to be overly bright for a live situation... and your auditorium is by definition a live situation. Use good 'live' mics and you'll get better recordings.

Thanks for all the advice. Are there any preferences as far brand of hanging mics? I have some old Auido Technicas that don't seem to have a lot of head room, they tend to squeal very easily. But again, thanks. Something to think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back