LP624 RoadCase Design Ideas - looking for feedback and thoughts

Brandofhawk

Hey CB,
I'm kinda excited about this project, so I'm going to ramble a little bit here. Move to the end and you'll see my questions that I'm looking for answers for. Otherwise read ahead!

So I recently acquired an LP624 via eBay for around $300-350. After checking it out and testing it, it is all nice and clean and in good operating condition.

I really like this board, and I do a few theatrical designs a year in small black box spaces with bare bones rigs and love to bring in my own board that I know and love. I also plan to rent it out to friends for use on set or their own theater endeavors.

Knowing that I don't have a case, I have rented it out in the past and gotten back fine until this last time. It came back with missing bump buttons and a bent fader though I asked for him to be careful. Easily fixed and repaired, and it was my fault that I put my board in harms way like that (he is however paying for the replacement/repair).

I looked up cases online $300 for the brand new LP624 case that can hold just the board.

I wondered what it would cost to design and build my own.
I spent about a week designing it on autocad (well and learning autocad through this project).

I designed a case that has a pocket for the board and a 4/4.5" (depending on if there is foam or not) pocket for extras behind the board. For just this it will cost $250 plus my time (which will be earned back because it will be a fun project for my dad and I to complete together).

Outside case dimensions will be approximately 2' 4" x 1' 6 1/2" x 6 5/8".
Here is a PDF! Colors are different foams / plywood. It's just the right side and top side, line in the center is the split for top and bottom.

Here are the extra features I plan on putting into the case (but will cost more of course).
1 built in power strip
1 little light hard mounted inside.
A dmx through plate on the backside (possibly one for each microplex 3pin and 1 dmx 5pin)
A pbg male flush-mount on backside (hardwired to power strip perhaps) so that I don't have to unplug and replug things in to close the case and set up is just that much easier. Also has the ability to close the case while still connected to everything when I leave at night.

Questions:
I was planning on the panel mount pbg (pbg), however could I also use a panel mount IEC (IEC)? Thoughts? Is it appropriate or not? Should I even attach one to a power strip? Are there alternatives to doing that?

For the DMX through panels, I'd like to put flush mount females on the backside that have a length (something to perhaps wrap around the case inside) and can plug into the back of the board.
I have a bunch of cat5 laying around, can I use this for the cable or should I buy some actual dmx rated cable?
What do you guys think about connectors? I can buy this for $7 or this for $25.

Feel free to shoot back any sort of feedback you'd like, but please try and make it educational and positive .. some of this is new for me.

Why not get a pelican 1500DF instead of building? 130 bucks and will be lighter/stronger/cheaper then anything you can build.

OP is talking about the LP624, not 612, so the console is 2' long and would require a much larger pelican. Something like the 1650.

In the past I've thought about pelican cases, however for my needs I feel like a pelican is a bit bulky. Part of the reason for building my own case is to minimize the size of the case, I don't have a significant amount of room to store things. Another thing about the pelican, I can't leave the board in the case bottom while in use. If it does go out to a set, I know that it will be safer in that than it would if it were taken out of a pelican, used and put back in. It adds a little bit more wear and tear where it is not needed.

I could get a 1650 for around $160 used on eBay (with shipping), which I'll admit is a great reduction in price and no doubt if I stalk eBay I could get it for cheaper. (But, I'd have to buy replacement foam for around $50-75). Value saved overall would end up around $50. Plus no fun experience of building a case with my dad.

We have a bunch of LP612s and LP624s on our shelves, and they all have cases we purchased, and for my money, do yourself a favor and just purchase the case. You can build your own but it will probably be heavier than necessary, and build cost/time is a huge consideration. That, or look at gearsource or lightbroker and get a used case. I'm sure there are plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back