LS9 Crossover?

Hello,

At the venue I'm working at, we have a 4-way EAW KF850 System for our mains that we've been running with an EAW 4-way crossover and a Behringer (I know, I know) Eurodesk. After a lot of convincing, we now have a Yamaha LS9 which is here and ready to be used. My question is, since I really don't know much about the LS9 or digital boards in general, is it possible to set up a 4 way crossover within the console, or will we have to use the rack unit we've been using?

You ought to be able to configure it in the LS9, but using the existing EAW will probably result in a nicer user interface and be easier to obtain the factory speced response, trying to apply the necessary filters and EQ in the LS9 may not be pretty...

Everyone is correct. Keep using the EAW crossover!

For many reasons, it will be difficult to do(but possible, yes) on an LS9. You would eat up a lot of your OMNIs and use unnecessary amounts of the engine.

Use the external x-over. The LS9 has high and low pass filters, but there's no way to change them to a different slope. I've done it for pseudo-aux fed subs, but it's a PITA.

Use the EAW processor for the speaker processing and use the DSP in the LS9 for any 'artistic' processing. That way you can add compression, adjust the EQ, add delay, etc. as subjectively desired or for a specific application without messing with the actual speaker processing.

While it can be done, for that very reason I am a big proponent of not trying to handle speaker system processing within a digital console but instead providing separate system processing and leaving the console processing as 'user' processing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back