Digital Surfaces M7CL StageMix

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
I was looking at the M7CL page and found the StageMix app. Has anyone on here used it before? I know not to use it for something like this for a show critical event, but does it work? Do you like it?

And, do you know if I could have an Ion connected and a M7CL connected to the same router? At the same time?

Thanks to the wonderful world of modern computer networking, you can plug pretty much whatever you want into the same network and rarely worry about anything interfering with anything else. Obviously, keep your network as stripped-down as possible to remove unnecessary variables, but you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks to the wonderful world of modern computer networking, you can plug pretty much whatever you want into the same network and rarely worry about anything interfering with anything else. Obviously, keep your network as stripped-down as possible to remove unnecessary variables, but you shouldn't have any problems.
In the audio and video world it is usually worry rather than rarely worry. Anything that is latency sensitive may not be a good candidate for an Ethernet network and especially in live applications where larger buffering may not be acceptable. In the case of StageMix, it is control data and not audio being communicated, so it should be able to coexist but how well it does so is going to be dependent on network variables that relate to how much bandwidth is available and the amount of potentially competing traffic.

I do believe that StageMix is very much focused on being used for setting up monitors from on stage and as such the controls and parameters to which you have access are basically limited to the fader, on/off, cue and EQ for the input channels and mix buses.

I currently use a computer via wireless network connected to an LS9 to monitor/set levels on stage with and I LOVE IT! Not having to run back to the board, being able to quickly mute things, change levels, it is amazing.

HOWEVER, the ONLY problem I have encountered is when the wifi signal gets low, the control surfaces will freeze up, losing connection with the board. It does need most of the bandwidth in order to be continuously syncing up with the console. One way I solved the problem was make this wireless network for LS9 CONTROL ONLY. No internet, no connection to building printers, etc. The problem would also worsen when lots of people (bodies) would be in the way of the wifi signal (dance floor full of people).

That being said, I can totally see if you started getting a lot of bandwidth-eating devices on the network where it could slow things down a little bit.

It's good to have entertainment device networks separated from everything else. You don't want your devices on the network to get attacks from the outside. Entertainment networks should be isolated from everything else - they can have multiple types of entertainment gear on them (sometimes you have to set up VLANs for this, especially for stuff like CobraNet) but you should not hook them up to a building network (however this is allowable if they are on their own VLANs and those VLANs do not have access to the internet or other building networks).

It's good to have entertainment device networks separated from everything else. You don't want your devices on the network to get attacks from the outside. Entertainment networks should be isolated from everything else - they can have multiple types of entertainment gear on them (sometimes you have to set up VLANs for this, especially for stuff like CobraNet) but you should not hook them up to a building network (however this is allowable if they are on their own VLANs and those VLANs do not have access to the internet or other building networks).

Thats what I was planning to do, not connect to internet, just the M7CL and Ion. So, would you say only have the router connected to one console at a time, or can both be connected at the same time?

Thats what I was planning to do, not connect to internet, just the M7CL and Ion. So, would you say only have the router connected to one console at a time, or can both be connected at the same time?

They can both be connected at the same time. I'm not sure if this is true for the M7, but for the LS9 I know that you have to assign static IP to the board, and it's a good idea to assign static to all devices so if something goes to "sleep", something else doesn't take its IP and then have conflicts.

Give the M7 192.168.0.10 and the Ion 192.168.0.11. Connect your computer at 192.168.0.100. Done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back