Male Socapex Panel?

...would only become one due to careless roadie. Seems to me, that person shouldn't be working in the LX Pit or Dimmer Beach in the first place.

Just reviewing and it seems that codes rarely allow for different levels of safety in a theatre for differently skilled crews. What goes for the broadway theatre goes for the elementary gymnatorium, and vice a versa. Just as the code cannot be sure you will only use properly protect 20 amp dimmers with breakers to feed the intercepted circuits, it doesn't know that only competent people will work the cables.

Again, spend the theater's money any way you like but is there nothing else that needs $100k of love? Can you document $20k/year in genuine labor or rental cost savings to the theater? I'm all about safety and convenience; it provides no enhancement to the former and unquantified amounts of the latter.

I don't know of a standard or off the shelf breaker panel for intercept panels.

Are these for lighting circuits, dinner packs, motors, something else, or a combination of these?
It would be a combo.
On rereading a couple things that were answers, not questions, I find I've fallen off: is this for a house with *no* rep hang or electrics on battens?
Typically speaking, the 208V isn't used for the rep plot, no. Used for LED walls, moving fixtures, LED fixtures, tours, local events, etc.

If I can sum up, you want:

1) To eliminate the many runs of Soca from deck to assorted locations on the grid
2) Be able to use that Soca/breaker panel system to
A) Connect 208v power systems, ML's etc... at grid level from deck level power distro.
B) Provide for dimmed 120v circuits from deck mounted dimmer packs
C) Provide both of the above to touring events when they come to the theater so as to speed up the process of getting the multi's run from deck, to grid and down to overhead electrics.
D) Running the circuits into conduit as THHN eliminates "some" of the de-rating issues that apply to multicable, especially those bundled together to look neat and clean.

I think it's going to prove to be an expensive install. You need a Soca male panel on deck, a custom circuit breaker panel - either 2 pole (likely) for the circuits, conduit and wiring deck to grid, a Soca female panel at grid level.

A big question. When a deck level feed is 208v how do you indicate that at the corresponding grid level Soca receptacle, as opposed to the times it's a 120v ?. Concerns with that.

I understand the desire for maximum flexibility but I think it's an expensive system. Maybe prioritize the need. 208V needed the most ?, dimmed circuits to grid ?, traveling show circuits to grid ?.

I'd be thinking about grid level 208v power distro from a CB panel, having 120v in that as well for LED. I think your going to see fewer and fewer dimmed circuits in the future, including off road shows, where it makes sense for them to do LED and movers.

Not sure what the in-house system is like or the plans for the future in terms of replacing incandescent with LED.

Actually this opens up a whole other can of worms. We are looking to convert (mostly) to LED --$$$ is an issue, unless we can find a discount or rebate program, but 208V on stage is the ONLY 208V we have. We have a lot of 120V, 10a dimmed circuits connected to the rack mount Leprecon and ETC Smartpacks (no dimmer module replacements). If we do decide to convert to non-dim, and add more drops throughout the house, is a breakered soca panel really going to be that much more expensive than a standard breaker panel? These are 2 completely separate projects, stage and house, BUT I would love to know if anyone knows the relative pricing of said breaker soca panels.

Expanding on Bills comment, a DMX controlled breaker panel is the typical system recommended for LED. LED is not often 208v, so the only 2 pole stuff you would need would be for 208V ML's. The LED's are all 120v, though there are 208 LED movers, but will you be using that ?. Going to DMX control on the breaker panels gives you the ability to power on/off form a console or other DMX source like Unison/Paradigm.

ETC makes a bunch of stuff - Echo comes to mind and is cost effective. As it has the control head built in you could add a remote button station to activate power ahead of powering the console. ETC also makes Soca panels, so an easy install. Echo can do single pole and 2 pole output breakers.

Expanding on Bills comment, a DMX controlled breaker panel is the typical system recommended for LED. LED is not often 208v, so the only 2 pole stuff you would need would be for 208V ML's. The LED's are all 120v, though there are 208 LED movers, but will you be using that ?. Going to DMX control on the breaker panels gives you the ability to power on/off form a console or other DMX source like Unison/Paradigm.

ETC makes a bunch of stuff - Echo comes to mind and is cost effective. As it has the control head built in you could add a remote button station to activate power ahead of powering the console. ETC also makes Soca panels, so an easy install. Echo can do single pole and 2 pole output breakers.
Actually @BillConnerFASTC recommended the ColorSource Relays to me awhile back, so I was gonna go with those. What's the difference between the Echo Relays and the Sensor IQ?

What's the difference between the Echo Relays and the Sensor IQ?
IQ is about double the cost...and a details - but not relevant for just powering and de-powering constant receptacles.

Ian - I am not at all certain of the issues. If you have a switch at grid level why do you need to run individual circuits from stage to grid via multi cables?

I think hardwired socapex - male inlet on stage and females at grid - with breakers - is going to be very expensive. WAG - at east $1000 per run. Could be $2000. SO more expensive than a feeder (which I guess you don't need) and a breaker panel and a panel with 6 or 7 socapex receptacles. Even upgrade breaker panel to a relay. Much less. What is doesn't do is allow circuits at grid to be dimmed from portable dimers on the deck. ButI think you could stash some dimmers at the grid for less.

All this and not build in a one of a kind not likely to be use for too many years expensive thing.

But - again - I don't understand what all you want to do besides power for 120 and 240 volt lighting fixtures, so could be off.

IQ is about double the cost...and a details - but not relevant for just powering and de-powering constant receptacles.

Ian - I am not at all certain of the issues. If you have a switch at grid level why do you need to run individual circuits from stage to grid via multi cables?

I think hardwired socapex - male inlet on stage and females at grid - with breakers - is going to be very expensive. WAG - at east $1000 per run. Could be $2000. SO more expensive than a feeder (which I guess you don't need) and a breaker panel and a panel with 6 or 7 socapex receptacles. Even upgrade breaker panel to a relay. Much less. What is doesn't do is allow circuits at grid to be dimmed from portable dimers on the deck. ButI think you could stash some dimmers at the grid for less.

All this and not build in a one of a kind not likely to be use for too many years expensive thing.

But - again - I don't understand what all you want to do besides power for 120 and 240 volt lighting fixtures, so could be off.
I think you misunderstand, I do not have a switch at grid level, only at deck level.

EDIT: I'm looking for the socapex breaker panels you are referring to, but I only see ETC's terminal breaker panels.

I think you misunderstand, I do not have a switch at grid level, only at deck level.

EDIT: I'm looking for the socapex breaker panels you are referring to, but I only see ETC's terminal breaker panels.

ETC makes a lot of stuff they don't list on the website and I would imagine the Soca male panels you require would need to be a custom design and quote. I'd be asking a local dealer for help, maybe even a dealer that does system design and integration, Barbizon, Holzmueller, Vincent, etc...

ETC makes a lot of stuff they don't list on the website and I would imagine the Soca male panels you require would need to be a custom design and quote. I'd be asking a local dealer for help, maybe even a dealer that does system design and integration, Barbizon, Holzmueller, Vincent, etc...
Is this the $1000 per run that Bill is referring to? I have a custom sheet metal manufacturer that I work with that can do these panels for $100 or less. And a qualified electrician who can wire up socapex and breakers for free. The only cost for us would be conduit, and the panel parts.

Is this the $1000 per run that Bill is referring to? I have a custom sheet metal manufacturer that I work with that can do these panels for $100 or less. And a qualified electrician who can wire up socapex and breakers for free. The only cost for us would be conduit, and the panel parts.

If I had a choice in an install, I’d let ETC make the Soca panels. They use terminal blocks inside the boxes which makes wiring to THHN much easier. It’s all labeled and uses spring loaded pressure contacts. It’s a great method to get the wiring landed.

I fully get the desire to save where you can, but on my last project I learned that some of the things I thought would be a good idea to save here and there came back to bite me in the butt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back