Martin roboscan 812

Hello, I have an opportunity to purchase 2 of these for $500.00. I think that is a good deal but am a little concerned about the issues and glitches I read about with these as well. Things like needing the special crossover cable and where the lights are in the chain effecting other lights.

I have not gone to see a demo of them but from what I see on you tube looks like these would give us some nice lighting effects.

So is it worth picking a set of these up and dealing with any glitches? Are these known to be "big trouble " and I'll just stay away? If I talk the price down to $400.00, is it still worth my potential problems? Should I be concerned that it is not an led light and thus worry about life span?

If I look at them , I was going to connect to my laptop/dmx program and make sure they respond to dmx commands, check the motors for movement, and confirm the mirrors look in good condition. Anything else?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete chirpich
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem with the 812s is that they have no independent dimmer or strobe and only a 150W lamp. They're rather underpowered and underfeatured. The only way to "close the shutter" or block light output is to scroll to the "closed" position on the color wheel, if I remember right. So you can never do color changes in black, and there is no way to dim or strobe the fixture independently.

I just broke some down for the metal
If they were in a club, they’re likely full of dust. Check the fan, fixtures of that age had fan issues.
You will likely need to clean every piece of glass in the thing, mirrors, dicros, lens if you can clean them at all.
Like soundlight said, they’re only 150W. how far is your throw?

1st electric is above stage and about 23ft high. 2nd electric is same height but approximately 8ft from front of stage. 3rd electric is same height and approx 20 feet from front stage.
The seller used them for dj but I will check cleaniness. I am thinking I would be better spending that money elsewhere.....

Pete chirpich

Regardless of your use, $500 for a pair is terrible. At best, these are worth $150 a unit.

Wow really? I looked at solaris and thought 500.00 was close so offering 400 seemed logical for a pair. Thanks for setting me straight!

Pete chirpich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back