Massive Flickering issue with matrix 4 channel dimmer packs

MCSLight

I just recently purchased 2 Optima Matrix 4 channel dimmers for my tiny theater company. We couldn't afford a traditional console, and a friend recommended Light Factory for us. Both the dimmers and the USB to DMX adapter came in, along with brand new 3 pin DMX cable. I set everything up, and if any channel on both packs is not at 100%, I get significant flickering. This happens on all channels on both packs. I picked up a DMX terminator, and that didn't seem to fix anything. I did some reading on here and saw that it might be a load issue, since we're operating off of clip lights. So the most we have on a channel is 6, 60 watt bulbs, and that's flickering just as much as any of the others.

I'm REALLY hoping that this isn't Light Factory being the problem. It's run on a fairly old laptop, but it still meets the system requirements. Any suggestions would be fantastic and greatly appreciated!

I had a similar issue with these packs, but from 0-25%. Did you get them from BulbAmerica? I wound up sending mine back and having them replaced.

They did come from Bulb America. However, I just borrowed a board from a neighboring theater and they worked perfectly fine. So I'm guessing this has got to be an issue with Light Factory or the hardware attachment.

After working with tech support on Light Factory, I think I'm having an issue with the Break time, frame rate, and MAB time of the DMX signal to the Optima dimmers. I've tried a few variations suggested by the Light Factory folks but it's not working. They suggested contacting Optima to see if they would have the information. Optima pretty much told me they don't do tech support, and if they had time someone might call me. If anyone knows where I could find this information I would be ecstatic. The show opens in 2 days and I still can't get this thing up and running.

After working with tech support on Light Factory, I think I'm having an issue with the Break time, frame rate, and MAB time of the DMX signal to the Optima dimmers. I've tried a few variations suggested by the Light Factory folks but it's not working. They suggested contacting Optima to see if they would have the information. Optima pretty much told me they don't do tech support, and if they had time someone might call me. If anyone knows where I could find this information I would be ecstatic. The show opens in 2 days and I still can't get this thing up and running.

I have a box that might be able to help you. It's a Doug Fleenor Design DMX to DMX converter and what it does it take DMX and slow it way down in all of the timing formats you mention.

I would let you borrow it for a short amount of time to see if it solves your problem. If it does, then I would need you to either get the packs swapped, go to a different console or buy the same converter from DFD. If that works for you, please call me today and I can have it sent from Madison down to Chicago.

David
6 zero 8 - 831 - 4116

I tried tanking the frame rate, and I was still getting flickering, although it didn't seem quite as bad.

David, I did not see your post until just now. I'm truly floored by your offer. I just happened to stumble into someone willing to loan us some dimmers and a controller for the show. So while I greatly appreciate your generosity, I think I'll at least be good for opening weekend. Also I'd be terrified something would happen to your equipment. However, I took a look at the DFD site, and they have a section about incompatible devices that might just be the information I'm looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back