Mega Clamps?

At a rental shop where I worked they had the Mega-Clamps on everything and we never had any problems with them. Some of the nicer shops I rent from now are using wrap around cheeseboro clamps which are really nice to work with.

Most of our inventory hangs on an aluminum truss, so we use truss condoms to protect the pipe. The mege clamps have a smaller opening then altman c-clamps, so it's a hassle to try to fit the mega clamps over the condom. Other then that they work fine. However, we are constantly loseing the washer that goes with them. And it's the washer that does the magic.

My favorite are "Trigger Clamps." ( http://www.bulbamerica.com/products/15152 ) (Shop around, the price varies a lot) I do a lot of work with aluminum trusses and regular C clamps and the Mega Clamps would eat them alive. These things have that lip, so If your lifting up something heavy like a Mac, you can hook it, then clamp it. They have a very smooth inside surface so they are kind to trusses, but they lock like you would not believe! Only draw back is the price, so I converted the moving lights first.

Take a look at the mega-burgers. I have used these once, and was pretty impressed. I do not have a great deal of experience, but I am sure that someone out there does. The thing that I didn't like is that if you pull the trigger, it is loose. It won't fall, but it will become loose.

Attachments

• megaburger.jpg
    megaburger.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
No, the bolt is a 3/8 inch. They are a lot bigger than they look in the picture. (about 8 inchs from top to bottom. )

those support yoking out at all?

Have the specs on these? The base i'm wondering about mainly, what bolt connects and such?

Quick flip handle instantly locks on 2” truss tube or 1-1/2” schedule 40 pipe. Preset clamp for your pipe size. Releases with a pull on the safety enclosed trigger.

Safe Vertical Working Load
1320 lb 600kg
Weight
24oz
Diminsions
3.675" x 5.52" x 2"

www.coolclamps.com

Here's a better view. When in the yoke out position, I can lift myself without the clamp moving (210 lbs) I never actually tried it for a show.

Last edited:
back in high school we tried out megaclamps, and it was not a pleasurable experience. grabbing a twisting a yoke was the main problem since everything was rigged in close spaces, plus everything being on one bolt caused too much of a hassle surprisingly.

now i'm interning at a concert production company, and to see good ole c-clamps and megaclaws go out on show with Gretchen Wilson and Harry Conick is refreshing....you can push all the technology you want into a clamp, but why?

Can't say too much bad about the old C clamp. About the only things that have changed the picture are aluminum tube trusses that can get damaged by a C clamp, and the introduction of monster fixtures that move. I have both to contend with, but if you work in a theater with iron pipe and non-epileptic fixtures, you can't beat the old C !

My favorite are "Trigger Clamps." ( http://www.bulbamerica.com/products/15152 ) (Shop around, the price varies a lot) I do a lot of work with aluminum trusses and regular C clamps and the Mega Clamps would eat them alive. These things have that lip, so If your lifting up something heavy like a Mac, you can hook it, then clamp it. They have a very smooth inside surface so they are kind to trusses, but they lock like you would not believe! Only draw back is the price, so I converted the moving lights first.

We call them gravity clamps because you can hang them by yourself (assuming you can lift the fixture) and let it hang while you tighten it. It's a great clamp for when you want something to hang to its center of gravity. These are the ones I've seen the most. http://65.170.197.2/products/ProBurger/ but global truss makes a lighter weight version called a trigger clamp http://www.globaltruss.com/product.asp?ProductIDNumber=183&category=9&subcat=16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back