Megabatten

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
Interesting new product from The Light Source:
MEGABATTEN
megabatten.jpg

I have no idea on price, but it might be great for smallish storefront spaces or smaller school spaces that don't have the infrastructure in place. It seems that it can be configured in longer lengths that can be joined end to end on site, saving on shipping.

I've seen similar in UK many years ago but much resistance when mentioned here based on Code and UL. Great ideas. Black boxes with all LED? Wow. I still or about official in futures not liking hanging lights on "conduit".

I wonder how aluminum sch 80 holds up to c-clamps? I also thought that UL required separate raceways for power and low voltage data, or at least separate compartments in one raceway. Also, what does a regenerating dmx connector do?

I wonder how aluminum sch 80 holds up to c-clamps? I also thought that UL required separate raceways for power and low voltage data, or at least separate compartments in one raceway. Also, what does a regenerating dmx connector do?
The spec sheet mentions a "New single-output DMX/RDM Splitter". Doesn't mention Opto-Iso and says it requires a clean, close DMX in. It says the splitter is "RDM Compliant", so does that mean it's an active RDM device or just that it passes it through?

We used aluminum sched. 80 pipe at my old summer stock. Always with truss protectors, though. It's about as strong, on spec, as sched 40 black iron pipe.

I'd hate to have someone cut through that batten without considering that there's potentially live wires inside. It does look like it'd be nice for some architectural installs, however, where you really need a nice, clean look.

Looks expensive. However the apparently co-developed single outlet dmx/rdm splitter box on data sheet is interesting. I thought I had heard ETC introduced a similar product at USITT but have not heard or seen more of it.

Could be very useful in the right applications. Just think how clean it would look on balcony rail and box positions.

Requiring DMX within 5' has me worried. Something isn't normal.

Sounds like something they have to do to minimize the impact of signal reflections down the cable by shortening the cable branch lengths.

"Re-Originated” DMX just sounds like a fancy way of saying the DMX connectors are all in-line with each other so you only need to feed the DMX inputs of each fixture.

I haven’t called them to verify, so I could be wrong on all of this, but that’s my gut instinct. I don’t see any references to control circuit AC connections on these things, so it doesn’t seem like active optosplitters are embedded in these pipes.

DMX, as forgving as it is, probably works pretty okay in this situation up until someone gangsters an extra 100’ tap out to another lighting position. Especially if they treat it like its own DMX chain and throw 10 fixtures on it and a terminator.

I believe NEC allows data and power together IF the data cable is rated to the power voltage (300 or 600 volts). This would mean the data insulation can resist being energized by a frayed power cable.

I believe NEC allows data and power together IF the data cable is rated to the power voltage (300 or 600 volts). This would mean the data insulation can resist being energized by a frayed power cable.

This has always brought up an issue. What about the when the cable leaves the class 1 system and gets treated as class 2 elsewhere? Like in the DMX jumpers to the fixtures, or supplying the device. They will all now be charged with line voltage and may be able to deliver enough current to do real damage, to say nothing of simply melting and fusing.

Sounds like something they have to do to minimize the impact of signal reflections down the cable by shortening the cable branch lengths.

"Re-Originated” DMX just sounds like a fancy way of saying the DMX connectors are all in-line with each other so you only need to feed the DMX inputs of each fixture.

I haven’t called them to verify, so I could be wrong on all of this, but that’s my gut instinct. I don’t see any references to control circuit AC connections on these things, so it doesn’t seem like active optosplitters are embedded in these pipes.

DMX, as forgving as it is, probably works pretty okay in this situation up until someone gangsters an extra 100’ tap out to another lighting position. Especially if they treat it like its own DMX chain and throw 10 fixtures on it and a terminator.

You've detailed my thoughts well. Placing added limitations on the DMX runs means you aren't following the standard anymore. What other consequences might arise?

These are all questions I'd have to have good answers for before I could recommend this product.

And if the low voltage cabling is related to the load supplied by the power conductors, such as 0-10V dimming ballasts, or in our case data to the lights supplied by the power conductors. Although I don't think the "related" requirement is met if there's more than one circuit in the pipe.

Since there does not seem to be a multi-quote option.

-The DMX thing seems odd. I would think there is an opto at each connector plate, but it's unclear. My co-worker saw this at a tradeshow, and that was his impression.
-C-Clamps!?!? Theater people need to learn not to use these on aluminum. EVER. Also, you should not hang lights in the dark; that's unsafe. There are plenty of MEGA coupler and claw style clamps that don't destroy things. Elation and Chauvet actually make some inexpensive and decent clamps too.
-Who mentioned accidentally sawing through these while they are energized? Your saw privileges have been revoked.
-The Lightsource does custom radius traveler track, and all of these batons are made to order, so a radiused Meggabatten could be possible if they have the right tooling.

"The MEGABATTEN is ETL listed to the UL 1573 Stage and Studio standard as a connector strip."
I have not looked up the definition of a connector strip yet, but I'm sure this classification is what makes this not a conduit or whatever else, and hopefully meets code for its intended application in most jurisdictions.

All in all, this looks like a perfect thing for a black box grid, or even as a second batton on theater electrics. Even used for LED "lampbars" is old par can PRT would be pretty slick.

It will be interesting to see how the dmx is actually split, and if and how that device is powered like most splitters. Ditto for new ETC distro which I believe has a similar wiring concept. It was reported at USITT but I have not seen any reports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back