Messing with the noobs

A few years back while serving as TD for a very large outdoor summer gig, the ME sent one of the naive young electrics apprentices into town for a sky hook.

Ask me for a sky hook and I'll come back with an assortment of antennas! :grin: That's one of the nicknames that ham radio operators use for antennas.

My 10th grade science teacher sent one of my more air-headed classmates down to the main office to get "fire proof matches". She came back and said that the front office had told her they were out.

While she's at the office, have her bring back a box of black highlighters.

:)

Ask them to go grab the anti-light instrument up in the booth when you need one dark spot on stage. Tell them it uses a solar cell that captures the energy and feeds it back into the building.

Not related to lighting, but last summer we had a new Production Stage Manager who was a little sure of herself. During the day, the carpenters screwed luon over her stage manager outcove.

She came in and asked them if they minded if she moved the "set piece" that was in the way of her outcove. They of course said it was no problem. She went to move it only to realize that it wouldn't budge. It took her a good 10 minutes to realize what was going on.

Being the arrogant SM she was, she went into the shop and got a screw gun to take it off herself, only to find two more layers of luon under it.

She learned very quickly not to mess with the carps.

Not related to lighting, but last summer we had a new Production Stage Manager who was a little sure of herself. During the day, the carpenters screwed luon over her stage manager outcove.

She came in and asked them if they minded if she moved the "set piece" that was in the way of her outcove. They of course said it was no problem. She went to move it only to realize that it wouldn't budge. It took her a good 10 minutes to realize what was going on.

Being the arrogant SM she was, she went into the shop and got a screw gun to take it off herself, only to find two more layers of luon under it.

She learned very quickly not to mess with the carps.

Reminds me of a buddy of mine who was running a pair of GMAs on a set and the props people rigged the table for smoke under the GMAs, and LX rigged a kill switch to the two consoles, which then activated the smoke. Apparently he had a minor heart attack when both his consoles suddenly died and what looked like magic smoke started coming out...

Done the who has the fill gas pumps for those lamps low in output - who has it between departments? Obviously - you only want to send them about that are well established if not further in personality which is fair game. Very important not to at any level take advantage of those that are not ready for it.

id10t forms are from the military the best in a getting someone to go for. Spell it out - IDIOT form. But again, not something for armature to go on the hunt for - something to humble on the search for in a go getter that has it but is going a bit far in getting. Concepts in who to do so. Not something to do to others to be taken lightly - metric crescent wrenches and all. You don’t do it when busy or to those that are not ready for such a game in their advancement. Ready for something hard to tell and if in question if help or hurt - don’t do it.

Ok, best I ever did was sending someone to the home center for “Checkerboard Paint.” With any really really good concept for a joke in someone being suspicious of it’s concept - you have to have ready a good explination of how it works. Sure, you can even these days buy some form of board stretcher, but imagine if you have in stock the expiation of how checker board paint works for that joke. You joking with me? No, this is how it works... It’s all about the ionization of particles, think about ionizing sun-glasses. They work due to the amount of light ambient. This paint works in the same way in electrons lining up one way or another. (Distraction in explination is the best way of making one’s case for how something else works.)

Yep, worked well and given recent spray paint developments might not work as well but still as a concept there is no checker board paint available. Not possible, but if you describe the science behind it sufficiently... seems feasable. Just got to confuse with useless unrelated science and leave out the details of how to make like 1.5" squares in detail. Details replaced with say how ions align and separate to the poles in sun glasse aligning as a distraction. Story good, science good = shopped for and one can believe it was probably more than one home center person confused. Confused by the science understood by the shopper fully (possibly some acting training to make it seem real in science and that need for it on a project.) Home center people added fair game in if you make the science real enough to the shopper... they will also fall for it in nope not having it but trying to help the customer find it.

Best level of joke you can go for is in capturing not just a shopper for it - just special order it already... If you have convinced the buyer about the science in ions lining up sufficiently, they will sell your product sufficiently in buyer to sell most sales staff. This sufficient to sent it up to corporate to get by X date from corporate.

That’s a win win situation in if it don’t exist, nobody hurt or perhaps more educated in the end. Done that.

Ok, best I ever did was sending someone to the home center for “Checkerboard Paint.” With any really really good concept for a joke in someone being suspicious of it’s concept - you have to have ready a good explination of how it works. Sure, you can even these days buy some form of board stretcher, but imagine if you have in stock the expiation of how checker board paint works for that joke. You joking with me? No, this is how it works... It’s all about the ionization of particles, think about ionizing sun-glasses. They work due to the amount of light ambient. This paint works in the same way in electrons lining up one way or another. (Distraction in explination is the best way of making one’s case for how something else works.)

Yep, worked well and given recent spray paint developments might not work as well but still as a concept there is no checker board paint available. Not possible, but if you describe the science behind it sufficiently... seems feasable. Just got to confuse with useless unrelated science and leave out the details of how to make like 1.5" squares in detail. Details replaced with say how ions align and separate to the poles in sun glasse aligning as a distraction. Story good, science good = shopped for and one can believe it was probably more than one home center person confused. Confused by the science understood by the shopper fully (possibly some acting training to make it seem real in science and that need for it on a project.) Home center people added fair game in if you make the science real enough to the shopper... they will also fall for it in nope not having it but trying to help the customer find it.

Best level of joke you can go for is in capturing not just a shopper for it - just special order it already... If you have convinced the buyer about the science in ions lining up sufficiently, they will sell your product sufficiently in buyer to sell most sales staff. This sufficient to sent it up to corporate to get by X date from corporate.

That’s a win win situation in if it don’t exist, nobody hurt or perhaps more educated in the end. Done that.

As someone who works in a home center paint department (and has mixed their fair share of 5gal buckets of flat black for high school stages), this is hilarious!!

Here's another paint one.
Paint some disgusting color as base on the set and when someone asks why it looks so unpleasant, tell them that it is RGBAW paint and it has be hooked up to the light board before it is usable.

Here's another paint one.
Paint some disgusting color as base on the set and when someone asks why it looks so unpleasant, tell them that it is RGBAW paint and it has be hooked up to the light board before it is usable.

But of course, then they would need to find a cinch-jones connector, because all the DMX paints are CMY now.

Another fun one, when projecting in black and white or other forms of monochrome, is to send someone out for a bucket of Technicolor. Made more sense when dealing with film products, but still semi-relevant.

Of course everyone knows you have screwdrivers for putting screws in and others to take them out.

You can't forget the classic "metric" c-wrench! Next time you're hanging a fixture made offshore, tell someone you'll need a metric c-wrench since all the bolts are metric.

I'm a fan of left handed screw drivers and paint brushes.

Beam benders and cans of aresol Bend O ray are two different things.

In rattle cans I prefer. "Lumen-B-Gone" and "Spill Suck".
"Liquid Dark" and "Ambient Gloss" are two of my favorite colors to request

I remember in high school, our tech theater teacher was less than qualified and told me to go wash a gel. My response was something like "you realize that gels are not made of gelatin anymore... right?", which did not make me very popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back