Messing with the noobs

One of our guys was sent to another shop to pick up a couple Mac 2ks and they know him a little bit. He calls us right after he gets there and said "So and so was wondering if we wanted the color frames for these 2ks, or if we already had them..."

Preface: in college right now.

In order to keep a group of freshmen busy for 20 minutes one of the light-shop supervisors sent them for a cable-stretcher.

A group of us convinced one of our painters that there was such a thing as a wood-welder.

Here's a really good example of something not to do, but it's still funny so I'm going to tell it. Don't try this at work, kiddies. One of the guys I work with got his start right out of high school in a TV repair shop. One of the old guys there had developed a tolerance for small AC shocks. He would bring a newbie over to his bench, touch some electrified component inside a TV, and say something like "I can't tell if this is warm or not, touch it and tell me." The newb would touch it, BZZZT, and recoil from the shock. The old guy would look confused and say "No, I meant this, see?" or something, and touch the part, solidly, again. So the newb would reach in again and BZZZT again. Eventually either the newb would wise up or the old guy would have mercy and stop.

Reviving an old thread:

While working at as a machine repair mechanic (apprentice) at a factory (in the 70s), we actually made an "offset file". We took a flat bastard, cut two inches out of the centre and welded the cutout back in but "offset". Sent a new apprentice to stores for it and had the new stores clerk frantic looking for it. Eventually nearly everybody in the plant found some excuse to line up at stores while these guys looked for the offset file. We finally "found" it under a pile of things, went around the corner, did two swipes with the file on the machine we were working on and sent him back with it.

The only person who didn't think that was funny was the foreman, when the line practically went dead while everyone lined up.

My freshman year of college we were hanging a show and running cable to the fixtures and we had one run that was 1' short of what it needed to be to reach the unit. I was told to "go get the green cable stretcher-- NOT the orange one- that had been accidentally left on the weight floor." I got as far as the rung ladder and stopped just as I put my hand on the first rung, and said, "Wait a minute...." to which behind me I heard laughter and cursing of, "**** it! SO CLOSE!!" *sigh*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back