Meteor Crash

NYCDirect

Hi gang. I'm directing a show where meteors crash on stage. We've performed the play at a regional theater and the prop shop created large foam balls that were dropped from the grid. They landed with a thud. Even with sound and light cues, they never proved satisfying. I'm looking for something that throws up dust, or maybe pops or shatters. I don't want pyro of any kind.

I was thinking of using some kind of sack to make spheres, and loading them with flour and beans. We have a catwalk above the stage and someone can throw these down.

Any other ideas? Thanks very much!

Less physical than props, have you thought of projecting meteors on the cyc somehow? If for nothing else than to enhance the prop effect, if not replace it.

No great ideas but a warning. Don't use flour. It attracts unwanted critters and can combust at the right concentrations. Google "silo explosion".

Fullers Earth (kitty litter) is a better alternative since it won't combust. However, it can cause respiratory issues, some of which can (in exceedingly rare instances) result in death, so I guess what I'm saying is particulates and people don't mix very well.

If 'twere me I would try to stage it so nobody actually sees the meteors strike. Instead the effects of them striking nearby are seen. That might mean puffs of smoke, flashes of light bouncing off the actors and set from offstage, or similar ideas. The audience will fill in the blanks if you let them.

I was going to suggest the same as sk8rsdad, 9/10 times, imagination is immensely more powerful than any effect in instances like this. If thats not an option, you could try sugar-glass spheres, open at one end, filled with smoke or haze? They may not bang when they hit but they will release the stuff inside to give effect of them impacting? Plus sugar glass is relatively harmless (I say relatively as you know what actors are like)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back