Microphones Mic Troubles

So, here is the story: I help out my old high school in setting up their sound system. Lately the mics have been getting damaged at an alarming rate. The transmitter boxes are fine, but the headsets are breaking. I have a feeling that somewhere in either use or storage, we are doing something wrong. I can't find a comprehensive site on microphone do's and don'ts. Can anyone recommend a site I can use to educate myself and others? For reference, the transmitters are Shure ULX models and the mics have a nude coloring and have a rubber attachment for attaching to the ear. I've heard them referred to as country men, but if it wasn't clear enough, nobody at the play is a professional in any respect >.<

There will be others along that will have much more info that I can but improper storage is always a problem. I prefer to keep everything in the provided case but that isn't always an option. Wadding and stuffing in a cardboard box is more the norm in school settings and will destroy fragile connections. The best thing to do is train a couple of people the proper methods and get them to put them on and remove them from the actors.
Check this thread:
http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/sound-music-intercom/23861-actors-microphone-care.html

Last edited:
Country Man is a brand name, a very popular one in the headset microphone world. Your problem is quite simple with an equally simple solution. People are damaging the microphones by misuse and no taking the proper care when storing them. The answer: Stop abusing them. Coil the cables, don't just wad them. Keep them in individual boxes or at least on a shelf by themselves, again, not wadded up and thrown on the shelf. This shelf should be in a lockable cabinet. Only people who need keys have them and are responsible for maintaining, distributing, and collecting the microphones.

These are just some ideas off the top of my head. It's really basic ideas from 5 year old play time. Put your toys back in the toy box...

We aren't doing anything super wrong like that. I have two our three others that collect the mics after each performance/rehearsal. I or another tech take the condoms off, remove the battery, and wrap the mic around the transmitter. The packs are then placed in individual bags and placed gently placed in a weave basket which is promptly hidden away till next show/rehearsal. Our most recent problem was that the rubber casing that houses the mic diaphragm cracked around the base. The mic no longer picked up the actor though if the stage manager decided to tap on the broken end a well defined pop was CLEARLY audible through the whole setup. I'm just looking for some reference material that I can use to educate actors, instructors, and tech.

As long as you're not wrapping it too tightly, wrapping the cable around the transmitter shouldn't be a problem.

However, putting the wire under the metal belt clip is asking for trouble.

Here is what I'm trying to get at: the mic was working the night before so it broke between when rehearsal ended and mic check the next day. The actor is very careful and doesn't have a history of breaking mics. I'm worried that tech is the source of mic damages. If that is the case, I want to make sure that proper mic care is being taken from now on. In order to do that, I need to educate myself on the subject

Develope a sound storage system then teach the guys how to get them in and out without damage. That is going to be different in every theatre. I went to cert class today at a local HS. They just remodelled the theatre and got new sound and lights, so I have to be cleared to use it. They have two handhelds and two lavs, the contractor had then wadded and stuffed in a drawer. I told the house guy the first thing he wanted to do was find a real storage area for them. He readily agreed.

How old are the lavs before they die?

When I was in high school we found that even Countryman B3s would only last three years or so (of heavy use) and at that point even the working ones all sounded different. Fortunately, we had the budget to replace a few each year so there were always fresh ones...

Some of the issues we have found with ours.

#1. Students will tend to grab the ear section while they are wearing them and squeeze to try to form it to their ear. That is a bad process as that will cause a "Kink" in the very small conduit that the wires run in and cut the wires thus rendering that mic useless. Countryman suggests that all adjustment be made by taking the mic off and bending the ear section using the diameter of fingers to make smooth round changes to the shape of the ear piece.

#2. The connection at the base of the ear piece can sometimes get loose and needs to be reseated. If you are going to check that connection make sure the body pack is turned off.

At the present moment, this is the mic's second year of use, also their second show. Also, no need to worry about power issues. I make sure all techs turn power off before working connections

I have an old samsonite suitcase with the middle flap. I put dividers in it so each half has 4 sections. I allow the actors to put 2 packs with mics in each section. 16 mics/suitcase. good to store there and easily to put back there after the show. It gives each mic a home. And the RULE is, before you go "meet and greet", the mics come off. The sound assistant brings the suitcase wherever the actors will pass by right after curtain call. It also allows easy transport. Makes it pretty fast and easy when 20 people are handing you packs.

As said before store the mic packs, receivers, etc. nicely. don't just throw it in a heap.
For my school's equipment I remove the element from the pack and gently rap around the first three fingers of my left hand and lay the element inside the case with the element and receiver so as not to get damaged.
Wrapping around the pack isn't bad just make sure the element isn't doing a 180 at the end that plugs into the pack.
P.S. I have found it helpful to tell the actors we will coil the packs to avoid said 180 wire breaking habits.

Bending the cable tightly at either end is the most common error that I see. Or they get tugged as actors move or change costumes, and they eventually poop out. We've not had a mic fail yet.

When you get the cables repaired or replaced, get the heavier duty cable - that's what we do.

You might try the microphonemadness.com mics (but order them with the stiffer ear loops, as the stock ones are quite wimpy). They sound good and they don't cost much more than a Countryman cable ($99 including shipping - the cables aren't replaceable, but so far, so good).

Looks like a decent site. I was just put in charge of digging through shure's replacement mic selection and finding suitable replacements. I'll be sure to mention the site. Thanks!

Consider looking at the Countryman E6's if you need headsets for your beltpacks. The wire between the beltpack and the headset is user-replaceable and costs only $60 or so. We try to have 2-3 spare wires on hand so that when a couple inevitably bite the dust during a rehearsal or performance, we can immediately (even mid-show) change out the wire and continue on without having to go through any downtime.

Consider looking at the Countryman E6's if you need headsets for your beltpacks. The wire between the beltpack and the headset is user-replaceable and costs only $60 or so. We try to have 2-3 spare wires on hand so that when a couple inevitably bite the dust during a rehearsal or performance, we can immediately (even mid-show) change out the wire and continue on without having to go through any downtime.

+1. We have the exact same process with regard to our body packs...all E6s. When the standard 1 mm cable breaks (which inevitably they will), we replace them with the thicker 2mm Duramax cables. I usually order 2-3 every year for that same purpose. If only the 2mm came standard on the E6s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back