Mic'ing the Ensemble

Eboy87

Doing some preliminary work on a potential show, and looking for alternatives to my usual PCC/hanging mic combination. I don't have too much experience with shotguns, but I'm open to the possibility. I'd have to price out the difference though.

Some background: Show is a musical (can't say what it is yet, as we don't have the gig yet), don't know cast size, but I doubt they have the budget for all to be body mic'ed as we have to carry full PA as well. Orchestra is probably in a pit.

So I pose the question to the community, what is your preferred method for catching an un-mic'ed ensemble? Also, if going with hanging mics, do you typically hang from battens or the grid? As I said, just looking for some options.

Hello Eboy,

Is this a tour or an install? What can you tell us about the space(s)?

And you don't know this yet, but....
Is this a a professional cast (can/do they project)? Kids, adults, or some combination?
Are elaborate is the set? Would you have input on how the cast blocks?

These are some of the details I look at when deciding how to mic a show. Some thoughts for you though are:

Hanging mics - battons are preferred because they will allow you faster access to adjust the trims. Remember the 3:1 rule, and base it off the average head height, not the floor.

Shotguns - can work, but could be problematic in a live room given the enlarged rear lobe. Also they are harder to conceal.

Floor Mics - Better with kids. Lots of foot/shoe noise for any dance numbers.

Set mics - If there are set piece that part of the cast gather behind, take advantage and hide a belt pack with a lav/boundary mic. Mics you will most like want to leave with each set piece, but the belt pack could in theory be moved between scene changes.

ISOMAX 2 Stage Mount | Countryman Associates, Inc.
http://www.countryman.com/downloads/dl/file/id/12/b3_omnidirectional_lavalier.pdf (read the bottom left of the second page)

Tracks - At some point you could capture a good ensamble recording for playback during the show. This of course assume you already are using tracks or can get the band/conductor to follow a click track. Unless otherwise requested, I would keep the levels to a minimal so as to sound like I am reinforcing the stage, hoping to be too obvious. Place speakers upstage for the purpose of the vocal tracks would also help with the illusion.

Hope these ideas help. Cheers!

Lakota

@lakota651,

Thanks for the suggestions. You wouldn't happen to have any photos of set-mounted mics, do you? I've heard of others using that method, but I've never done it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back