Microphone cable clips?

JLNorthGA

They are ALWAYS breaking on me. These are the clips which clamp the cable to the microphone stands.

So - I need some replacements. Any suggestions as to type? I am tired of draping the cable over the stands.

I use a piece of gaff tape a couple of inches under the mic mount to provide strain relief. For the rest of the cable I just run 1-2 wraps around the stand to the bottom.

I find that the top of the mic stand is what you notice the most, and with the gaff tape holding the cable firmly in place it looks pretty nice.

In fact this has worked so well that I have a ziplock baggy full of cable clips sitting in the bottom of my gear box that I have never used.

I rarely use the clips, but do sometimes find them quite nice. I assume your local audio supplier or music place should be able to order them from one of the microphone stand suppliers.

I never really "wrap" cables around stands, or use gaff to attach the cable to the stand. This invites either disaster or annoyance in my experience. Then again I've done a lot of 'festival' audio.
Plus wrapping the cable around the stand takes more time to do, and un-do and is completely unnecessary IMO. Unless like ONE wrap for a straight stand.
IF someone tries to adjust the stand especially EXTEND it when the cable has been wrapped around it, well Im sure you have seen what happens.

The points of adjustment on the stand create a natural place to "nest" the cable and make it very tidy. The clips can help of course. Takes no time at all and leaves the cable free.

Coil of excess cable beside or behind (or under) the stand (not under a leg), bring the cable up behind the clutch adjustment (for boom) and along the boom and plugged in in one fluid motion. The clutch adjustment will hold the cable in place by way of gravity. Then you can tuck the cable around the telescope adjustment knob to further hold the cable if needed. Of course this does not work with the stands without a boom clutch adjustment.

Musician changes instruments and needs to adjust or move the stand? No problem. Need to swap stands between songs? No Problem. Singer wants to take the mic off the stand and go for a walk? Again no problem (always find it awkward when they try and do this, its been wrapped, and they are on stage unwrapping it to get it free).

Then again that's me, and most of the audio people I generally work with.

Once I run the cable, I take it and do two wraps around the stand by grabbing it in the middle at a point close to the boom clutch and passing it around the joint between the boom and the upright twice - and then leaving that middle point hanging on the clutch. If that makes any sense. It works phenomenally and is ridiculously easy to undo, and it's always entertaining to see performers undo it by passing the mic around the stand since that's not necessary with this method. Just undo that middle part from the clutch and flip it around the stand twice and you're free. It's SOP at a few places I've done audio.

+1 for two wraps around a straight stand and if a boom, two wraps around the boom ARM (only).
With two wraps, you can still easily raise and lower the mic.
The singers can easily take the mic of the clip, and (unless a newbie buffoon) unwrap it easily and walk.
Clips? Okay but not for (mobile) vocal mics & stands - too clumsy. Did I mention they get lost? ;-0

The reason for a couple of wraps? If someone stumbles over the mic cord, the mic and connector take a hit and the mic can even go flying out of the clip and take a real whack - like when they swan dive into the orchestra pit ten feet down.
Sure, even with two wraps the stand might get knocked enough to topple, even so, it allows the opportunity for the talent or someone nearby to catch it.
Unwrapped cables become what I call the "flying Irishman" (taken from the nautical term for an ragged rope end) a huge trip hazard no (good) musician can avoid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back