Control/Dimming MicroTech DMX vs. Swisson DMX Tester

gafftapegreenia

CBMod
CB Mods
So there are currently two very similar DMX diagnostic tools on the market.
The MicroTech DMX
proxy.php

And the Swisson DMX Tester
proxy.php

The two products are very similar. They perform similar functions, and even the prices are close. The Swisson one seems a bit more useful in terms of its readout functions. So, which one to buy?

Tough choice. While I love my MicroTech, it does look as though the Swisson unit offers more features.

To avoid making the decision, buy the Gizmo instead!:twisted:
proxy.php

I have a Swisson and it is very handy. It has a better display than the MicroTech and a number of features not on the MicroTech. It will present you a bar graph readout of all 512 channels so you can see levels at a glance. Solidly built and it even includes 5to3 and 3to5 pin XLR adapters.

I have a Swisson and its saved my ass on numerous occasions. I also treat it roughly and it still works perfectly. I've even run a 3rd stage on it when one of my controllers failed mid-show.

I've never tried the other(s), but my toolbox never leaves the shop w/o the swisson aboard.

The only downside: It needs a feature/function that turns all channels to full.

I'm thinking it might be time for me to drop on one of these, anyone know of a place with a better deal than $339 at roadie tools?

Whenever funds permit I'm going to go with the Swisson unit.

Swisson DMX Testor/Remote Control XMT-120 includes measurement tool, nylon case, DMX adapter 3-pin male to 5-pin female, DMX adapter 5-pin male to 3-pin female, instruction manual.

It looks like that does include the case. They just offer cases separately as replacements.

Also, at the top of the page, it says free shipping in the the 48 states. Last I knew, Nashville was still included.;)

got the Swisson few weeks ago.. great device.. only one thing sucks hard.. no way to set all channels at full.

Is the level limited to 2 digits? Or does it not let you call multiple channels all at once?

I'll often input a level of 99 as the Full option is on a different keypad - though maybe that wouldn't apply here.

Is the level limited to 2 digits? Or does it not let you call multiple channels all at once?

I'll often input a level of 99 as the Full option is on a different keypad - though maybe that wouldn't apply here.

It has preset level buttons for 0-50-FL, but what he is saying it won't let you do is grab all the channels are once.

It has preset level buttons for 0-50-FL, but what he is saying it won't let you do is grab all the channels are once.

Derekleffer, you have a microtech, how does it compare to the Swisson in this instance?

With the MicroTech, to send all channels to a particular level, one simply scrolls above 512 or below 001 (it wraps both directions): ... 511, 512, ALL, 1, 2 ... .
Rather surprised the Swisson doesn't have this.

How about setting % on the Microtech?

Once the channel# (or ALL) is displayed, hold "Mode" and press the Down or Up arrows. Again, the levels wraps: ...98, 99, FL, 0, 1, 2... .

Interesting. Still a tough decision. I like the data analyzation of the Swisson but I like the intuitive input on the Microtech.

One day I'll probably own both :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back