mixing in a booth

sarahsliefie

We have a gymnatorium and have to setup and strike twice a day and sometimes 3 times a day. our last Mixing board (24 channel Yamaha) was destroyed because we were moving it so much and plugging things and unplugging them. We just built a booth up in the wall that makes this process so much better, but the problem is that the sound is horrible in the hole in the wall. The hole is 4'W x 2.5'T and is 110' from the stage. We put moniters up that feed directly out of the board, but it is not dilayed for the distance.

My plan is to hang two mics in the house that capture the sound, and have that be the only sound that goes to the monitors.

What have you done or what can I do to get a better sound?

Last edited:
Open air booth, Honestly, its rough but how you often did you use it? Honestly I've seen touring consoles who every day are plugged in, and unplugged, for several years.

We set it up 2-3 times every day. We have gone through more 120 prong plug connectors then I cna count, and had several shows messed up because the connection was bad. Unfortunately, having the board in the house is no longer an option. Now it is just a matter of getting the best sound we can out of a bad location.

We set it up 2-3 times every day. We have gone through more 120 prong plug connectors then I cna count, and had several shows messed up because the connection was bad. Unfortunately, having the board in the house is no longer an option. Now it is just a matter of getting the best sound we can out of a bad location.

Sounds like a job for Hospital-grade plugs and sockets. Pricey, but oh so much better.

Edit: Oops, 120 prong != 120VAC.

Last edited:
Unless you have time to tech and EQ in the house before a show I don't see how you would get any better sound. Mics and monitors won't give you accurate sound from the house. Mix to those and your sound will be off in the house.

How did you go through plugs and sockets? I've had plugs that are easily 40 years old working just fine, never worn out a socket personally either.

The plugs and sockets are not the big problem though there have been a few. The issue is in the large 120 pin connector. and the board and been damaged by being carried up and down stairs 2-3 times a day by students that are scrambling to change it from an auditorium to a gym in under 20 minutes.

As much As is would like to have it in the house that is not an option any more. I just want to know how can I get the best sound with what I have now.

The plugs and sockets are not the big problem though there have been a few. The issue is in the large 120 pin connector. and the board and been damaged by being carried up and down stairs 2-3 times a day by students that are scrambling to change it from an auditorium to a gym in under 20 minutes.

As much As is would like to have it in the house that is not an option any more. I just want to know how can I get the best sound with what I have now.

Does your booth sit on the floor? have a second story?

turn the second level into storage and amp rack room. Make the first level 'open' using knee walls, and counter top on 3 sides. have locking racks on wheel underneath for sound equipment and road case on counter for console. modify the rear cover to have an the bottom and 1/2 way up the back open for leaving the cables attached. To use simply remove console cover, unlock racks and remove doors, power up system.

I recently moved our sound booth into our house. I looked into building a roll top style cover using 2x3s for the cover.

I can not make a change to the position of the board. and it is not my question about how I can get the board into the house. If I could do that i could come up with several options including a digital board connected through wireless network. The question I am raising is how do I get the best sound possible from the monitors in the box?

There is a reason we are yelling @ you, you moved your sound from constantly setting up in house into a booth? or you've been in a booth?(then I apologize) Either way put your back to the window, lean backwards and reach towards the console. I've done it that way. Getting your ears in the space is the only way to reliably mix for a space. After mixing for a annual dance recital that way, is when our Theater Leadership Team decided loosing 21 seats was worth moving sound into the house.

Last edited:
I can not make a change to the position of the board. and it is not my question about how I can get the board into the house. If I could do that i could come up with several options including a digital board connected through wireless network. The question I am raising is how do I get the best sound possible from the monitors in the box?

There were a couple solutions, Make the booth you have better by opening it up some. Change some of the walls, meaning get the walls out. The only way we can address an issue like this over the internet is make the booth less enclosed. Honestly the only way you are going to get good accurate results out of being in a booth is to have a professional acoustics engineer come in, listen to the sound from the booth and recommend ways to make it sound more like the house. I'm sorry but if you were going through connections like that then there is another problem. What 120 pin connector are you referring to? A snake? If so, maybe look at getting a better quality snake made or bought.

The reason I am now in the booth and not on the floor anymore is a direct order from the board of directors and president of the college. I have been back and forth with them for over a year and have made over 12 different proposals. currently I have no other option. This may change in two years but for now I have no other choice then the booth. Everything you have mentioned so far is something I have tried with the administration, but for now I must put the board where it is. I have even thought of quitting over this but even that is not an option right now.

I am only trying to make the best of the situation that I am stuck in. So what can I do to get the best sound possible up there.

Digital board and an iPad remote app...

Now there is an idea! How would I go about connecting that. We will be buying the new digital board this summer but the exact one has not been chosen. What do I need to look for to do something like that?

Now there is an idea! How would I go about connecting that. We will be buying the new digital board this summer but the exact one has not been chosen. What do I need to look for to do something like that?

You'll have to start researching some of the better known manufacturers for iPad compatible units.

The thing to consider with them is if the channel strip controls are accessible from the iPad, some boards only have local control over things like EQ and sends. I'm sure someone else (vendors love answering these questions if they can sell a console) can help your space get what they need.

I
The Yamaha LS9 and M7CL both have iPad apps that are very powerful, and offer control over most functions, including EQ, HA gain, cues, and outputs.

LS9 StageMix | Applications | Peripherals | Products | Yamaha

Or if you are strapped for money the PreSonus 24 channel can connect through a computer to an iPad. I am not a huge fan of the board but it is reasonably priced and runs well. The university I work for has a 16 channel and a 24 channel and I would recommend it for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why do you setup and break down so many times in a day?

Let it suck and when they ask why the sound sucks tell them its because you are stuck in a little hole in the wall.

Instead of buying a new board (even though you said you were planning on it), why not have someone running the board in the booth and another person in the house communicating via a radio. At least until you get your new digital board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back