Mixing led RGB or RGB+A with older Equipment

I hope this does not sound too ignorant... I have an NSI N5128 Foot Controller that has been a great piece over the years. It allows me to have my hands free to operate sound, spin music, or even on ocaision, play an instrument.. I also have the NSI DMX-16 demultiplexer which I read someone asking about in another thread.

I am wanting to try led RGB lighting. My concern is, can I use my present controller [w/ or w/o] the DMX-16 to operate led RGB or better RGB+Amber??

What other device would be needed if this is even do-able???

If its true DMX then yes, with proper addressing, it ought to work. However, the reality of the situation is that its possible it wont. See if you can have someone demo you some units and test them out?

Shiben's right, you may want to take your gear to your trusted lighting vendor and ask them to help you get a demo operating with your stuff. If it isn't possible to incorporate the new with the old, perhaps they'll have some suggestions as to probable work-arounds or (more likely) an upgrade. Remember, if your older equipment won't operate the newer 'stuff', someone out there in ebay or craigslist land may be very happy to buy it for their older equipment needs.

Let us know what you find Ken-

Ken-STOP**Do not try to hook the N5128 to any DMX controlled LED devices.**

That foot controller operates on the Microplex protocol--it is NOT the same as DMX. Microplex puts out a +12 volt signal that will potentially destroy any DMX device that is plugged into it. And the DMX-16 name is somewhat misleading. That unit takes microplex and translates it to analog +10 volt control signals, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with DMX! "DMX" is also an abbreviation for de-multiplexing--which is what that unit does.

Your application requires a protocol converter to translate microplex to DMX. Several of these do exist. Leviton makes one of them, the I/F501. That unit will do a multitude of conversions--see the attachment for exact specs. I have never used one of these, but have heard antecdotal reports that they work quite well. I am not sure on the cost.

There is also a guy on ebay that offers a protocol translator that allows you to run DMX devices from microplex control (i.e., microplex to DMX). FWIW-I have used one of his converters (DMX --> microplex and have had absolutely no problems with it. The unit you want is the "DMX-lator II", and "dmx-tools" is the seller. The unit runs $123-199 (depending on the auction).

I have had to become proficient in learning the various caveats & gotchas as my original equipment was NSI microplex. I was using it in school shows--where one school had DMX dimmers, while another had quite old analog dimmers.

Feel free to contact me if you require further . --John

Attachments

• Instruction Sheet IF 501.PDF
    4.5 MB · Views: 235

Users who are viewing this thread

Back