Monoprice Super-Bright 12X7 LED 612745

TDN

I've had a chance to play around a bit more with their Super-Bright 12 watt X 7 LEDRGBAW+UV fixture. Model number 612745.

My impressions- well, you get what you pay for. Powerconpass through (but monoprice doesn't sell jumper cables...), 3 pin DMX in and out. It's a very small, compact fixture, and a wide beam spread. Probably a 50-60 degree spread. I had it next to a 6 in fresnel to compare and it was very similar.

What was it like? Dimming was decent- the bottom five percent isn't super smooth, but the unit does fairly smooth dimming the rest of the way.

Compared to the 500 watt BTL lamp in the fresnel? Well, with everything pushed up to full, not as bright. It's a much colder light in terms of color temperature, even with the Amber lights added. I didn't try to match color temperature. So the LED isn't as bright, so pastels and gentle colors aren't gonna keep up.

Now, once you get into the saturated colors, this does better. Very comparable output when looking at it compared to the fresnel gelled with R26, R 68, R 80, etc. As expected. Color quality looked pretty good to my eye too.

Conclusion: Well, I'm uncertain. I need to play with it some more. Who knows what the build quality is. But the fixture is very compact, very quiet, does decent color, has UV outputs, has pass throughs for power and DMX (although 3 pin, which is fine....but annoying). A very wide beam spread, which is good for me.

I'd be very happy if 10 of these fell off of a truck and wandered into my theatre. It would be nice to have as part of a house rig in my blackbox, supplemented by my regular Fresnels and Source 4s. I'd like to use them side by side with the LEDs for saturated light and the incandescents for the pastels. I would not throw out any of my current lights for these though, but I'm always happy to have more tools in my toolbox. And while the price is really good, I'm not convinced that it's the best use of my money.

Has anyone else had a chance to play with these? I'd love to hear how people are using these. If I was doing more rock and roll stuff in my spaces, instead of maybe once a year, I'd buy 10 in a heartbeat.

EDIT: Not sure why everything is linking to the wiki here. Not my intention. Sorry!

I bought one to play with, I was pretty impressed with it. The beam spread was to wide for my needs so I didn't end up buying anymore. If I needed a short throw fixture I wouldn't hesitate to pick some up. You can adjust the dimming curve, I think the display says "node" for that setting. There are 4 settings and off for it. Off just follows dmx signals, and then 1-4 are a little slower to a lot slower to change intensity but the fades are a lot smoother as a result. I also hooked it up to my kill-a-watt meter to check actual power draw. It draws about 76w with everything at full. I figured every LED is really 6w not 12w. About 1w per color.

EDIT: Not sure why everything is linking to the wiki here. Not my intention. Sorry!

Thank GOD. One time my computer got infected by some malware and random words would be linked to sketchy sites. I thought it was happening again!

I like them. I have one or two that forget what DMX mode they are in after a power cycle, and another one or two whose fans have gotten noisier than the others. I have always waited until they were on sale. I guess I have twenty-five units now. I use them for washes (using seven units per electric rather than five fresnels) and for worklights. I'll never send one back for any kind of repair unless it was DOA. Just not worth the time and hassle and shipping costs. I mostly use them for saturated colors and white - but the UV on them is so good that I've not needed to pull out my 4' fluorescent tubes for a while. And adding a touch of UV in conjunction with other colors can make just the right look really pop.

Would I have preferred a higher quality unit? You bet. But I haven't seen anything that compares for the price and flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back