Control/Dimming Help me pick a console!

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by icewolf08, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Amiers

Amiers Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.

Lighting Floor Tech
    Elements would work if you like the subs. It’s a step up from what you have and your people will already be familiar with it.

Whatever is left over start buying some LEDs

2. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    2nd the motion. The Element is designed for exactly your situation, especially with some touch screens. Some might claim cheaper boards will do the job, but you have the funds to do it right.

RonHebbard and Amiers like this.
  3. NolanNolan

NolanNolan Member

Supplier is suggesting ETC Colorsource Console. Would this be an example of the above?

I found this 2 year old post about the differences between the Element and Colorsource, does that pretty much cover it?

Found a semi-local Element to demo and supplier is demoing a Colorsource, so at least I can get some hands on.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    That list was just what I could read off the data sheet for the ColorSource. I've had a chance to work with it recently.

I like a lot about it, but I really feel it's best for the smallest and least technical situations. At 80 channels max, you would have 22 channels for all your LED/Mover/whatever. However it approaches control very differently than most other boards out there. Most professionals would get frustrated very quickly with the things it can't do or does automatically without options. There isn't a provision to really accurately set color values, or even know what you selected for a palette or a fixture. The effects are pretty basic. Marking is totally automated. I would never want to use it without a monitor. I'm designing a couple of small town high schools at the moment and feel the CS is too limited for them.

For the price gap the Element gives you a whole lot more. It will take some learning, but you are already familiar with the basics as it was specifically designed to be the next version of the Express. I like to say the big difference is that you will hit ENTER a lot more. If all you ever did is record cues and submasters then hit GO then the CS would work. If you care about timing, color details, effects (when you get LEDs or movers chases won't be enough) ease of RE-programming (CS mostly makes you redo instead) and a massive pool of operators/help/tools then a couple grand more is well worth it.

macsound, Michael K and RonHebbard like this.
  5. igeek207

igeek207 Member

Tech, Programmer, Operator
    Looking to upgrade from ShowXpress.

Hey everyone :)

So I'm the lighting guy at a nightclub. When I took over the lighting, they were running ShowXpress. I basically self taught myself how to program using this platform.

Unfortunately, I am noticing big limitations as my programming becomes more advanced. One in particular is the ease of adding new fixtures into existing scenes.

Now I will keep ShowXpress on the computer, since that is what the club is used to, but would personally like my own controller that I could run the club rig more dynamically and make it easier to program.

I recently saw some videos on the Avolites Titan Mobile. Looks like a nice console. Would this work for my needs?

My primary job is actually busking the lights live to the music the DJ is playing.

So here's our little rig.

I appreciate any advice. :)

Main Room

(5) Chauvet Intimidator 350 LED (14 ch)

(8) Chauvet Colorband Pix (36 ch)

(2) Chauvet Slim Par 56

(1) Chauvet Mega Strobe FX 12 (2 ch)

(1) X-Laser Sapphire X2 Laser

(1) Look Solutions Unique 2.1 Hazer

6. techieman33

techieman33 Well-Known Member

It would take care of your needs just fine. That's a lot of money to spend though unless they're going to pay you to bring it with you. You might consider buying a titan one dongle ($150) to try things out before you spend that much of your own money. Chamsys Magic Q is another option, you can pick up one of their 5 hour dongles for $15, or the unlimited one for $100. Buying a personal console is a big investment, so I would suggest you try some stuff out before you make a big purchase like that.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. igeek207

igeek207 Member

Thanks. I actually downloaded the offline system. Watching the tutorial videos and following along with the given demo show file. Once comfortable with the system, going to put the club rig in and see how it performs. I also scheduled a time to meet with the Avolites rep at LDI and will surely be trying it out before investing my own money.

I figured it was time for me to get serious with my lighting career. I know if a guy that travels with his own older Ion. So I figured it would be in my best interest to have my own console.

I have used a Chamsys PC wing, but found the overall buildv and feel of the buttons to feel cheap.

From what I understand of Avolites. The consoles are built using military specs. Sealed buttons, optical encoders, etc.

So my initial investment is probably going to be $5,000, but every paid gig outside the club, all the time saved programming at the club, and for every year I get out of it, seems worth it to me. :)

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. jamesh

jamesh Member

ChamSys Ltd
    RonHebbard likes this.
  9. igeek207

igeek207 Member

That sounds great. I will schedule an appt. Would love to see and try the new products. :) See you in Vegas.

RonHebbard likes this.
  10. jamesh

jamesh Member

ChamSys Ltd
  11. Lance Hallmark

Lance Hallmark Member

I have recently purchased the Chamsys MQ40N. I was using the Chamsys USB dongle before that, but only briefly. I'm very new to DMX programming but I am really liking this controller. Way easier to program and busk than with just a computer alone. I feel the software design, which is the same platform for PC/Mac/Linux and all consoles, has a lot of features that cater to busking, of which my needs are the same as yours, mostly DJ/Club lighting. Try to get a hold of one and try it out, I felt that this was the better way to go over a PC/Wing route, plus I still have the computer as a backup. Chauvet is now offering MagicQ classes at their location in Ft. Lauderdale as well. I haven't used any other top tier consoles but this one seems to be a great value for an entry level unit.

12. sloop

sloop Member

I think people over look PC based control, adding wings if needed. Its a damn site cheaper, personally I find programming on twin touch screens with a mouse faster than using a console. If you need tactile faders, add a wing.. Even with wings, its a lot cheaper than going with a console.

RonHebbard likes this.
  13. Jay Ashworth

Jay Ashworth Well-Known Member

My experience, sloop, is that once you add, frex, ETC wings to an ETC Nomad setup; you're at 85% of the price of just buying the damn Ion and being done with it.

RonHebbard likes this.
  14. DuckJordan

DuckJordan Well-Known Member

Not to mention reliability. Mixing and matching hardware is more difficult to keep show ready than a full console. Also once you get used to a layout of a console it's amazing how much faster it is on the console than on a pc

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice