Motorized Curtains

Lake Jon

I'm an uneducated newbie just looking for advice. If I have a 20 ft wide stage and want a basic black motorized curtain about 9' ft tall, where do I go and roughly how much would it be? There are quite a few things going into this and this would be a cool part, but this is much needed in my mind and budget is a concern given everything else. Right now the ceiling isn't finished. I'll have many more questions. Thanks!!!

I'm an uneducated newbie just looking for advice. If I have a 20' wide stage and want a basic black motorized curtain about 9' tall, where do I go and roughly how much would it be? There are quite a few things going into this and this would be a cool part, but this is much needed in my mind and budget is a concern given everything else. Right now the ceiling isn't finished. I'll have many more questions. Thanks!!!
Good morning @Lake Jon ;
I'll post a few queries to narrow things down a little, then I'm sure others will chime in.
- 20' wide; SR off stage wing wall / to SL off stage wing wall: Full width of your stage or full width of your proscenium?
- Motorized to fly or motorized to travel (open and closed sideways, either remaining in view on either side or disappearing into the copious wing space you probably don't have)?
- New construction with ceiling yet to be finished OR installation / renovation in an existing space?
- Is 9 feet the height of your proscenium, the desired height of your curtain including a little to cover sightlines above your prosc', or the total height from finished stage floor to the finished height of your yet to be finished ceiling?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Last edited:
The stage will be ~20x8 about a foot tall, all seating will be in front and there will be a full wall behind the stage and full wall to the right. The ceiling is ~9'8". The two curtains will open in the middle and be in a basic rectangle shape of 20x9 when closed. I want the curtain width to line up with the stage. The room itself is ~23x58, so there would be a 3 ft opening/hallway to the left of the stage. I want a remote to control the curtain slowly opening and closing, not too slowly, just normal. Right now the ceiling isn't finished, but I'd like for any equipment like curtain and lights to be outside the ceiling. I will have outlets on the ceiling. Thanks!!

The stage will be ~20x8 about a foot tall, all seating will be in front and there will be a full wall behind the stage and full wall to the right. The ceiling is ~9'8". The two curtains will open in the middle and be in a basic rectangle shape of 20x9 when closed. I want the curtain width to line up with the stage. The room itself is ~23x58, so there would be a 3 ft opening/hallway to the left of the stage. I want a remote to control the curtain slowly opening and closing, not too slowly, just normal. Right now the ceiling isn't finished, but I'd like for any equipment like curtain and lights to be outside the ceiling. I will have outlets on the ceiling. Thanks!!
@Lake Jon A few more queries:
- When the curtain is closed, do you want it to totally conceal the stage or do you envision the bottom of your curtain barely kissing your stage / ending ~1' AFF (Above Finished Floor) if when you remove and store your 20' wide by 8' deep by 1' high stage to use the room for other functions?

- Can we assume non-fixed / stacking seating in rows on a flat floor / rather than fixed seating on a raked auditorium floor??
Your Fire Marshal will have something to say regarding the number of chairs to the nearest aisle / escape route.

- By any chance, is your theatre's floor below finished grade / in a basement???
Are there internally illuminated Fire Exit signs already in place????

"a remote to control the curtain slowly opening and closing, not too slowly, just normal."
Slowly & normal are relative terms.
@MNicolai At all others: Care to chime in?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Are you envisioning some sort of a valence (or, alternately, a cornice or similar architectural bit) across the top in front of the main curtain? If not, and assuming you want the track hardware to be somewhat hidden, the curtain track would have to be mounted in a recess in the ceiling, rather than flush or suspended or whatever.

The stage will be permanent, same with lighting etc... The fully closed curtains will conceal the stage as much as reasonably possible, so the two curtains will be more like 11' - 12' feet wide so there's a little extra. I envision the curtains would cover roughly half the base of the stage so they would be ~6-10" off the floor. It's above grade main level, there is big basement below. The seating will be permanent, but semi-movable. It will be more like lounge/bar/bench seating than lots of chairs. My view of capacity would likely be fewer than the fire marshall, I want a relaxed and comfortable environment. If a fire exit sign is required I'll get it. The capacity is about 70.

Are you envisioning some sort of a valence (or, alternately, a cornice or similar architectural bit) across the top in front of the main curtain? If not, and assuming you want the track hardware to be somewhat hidden, the curtain track would have to be mounted in a recess in the ceiling, rather than flush or suspended or whatever.

I could easily add a valance to cover up the suspended tracking. Weight might be an issue, I'd be looking for lighter-weight tracking and curtain fiber, not the big huge thick black curtains. I'd like light-weight, with as much blackout as possible.

@Lake Jon, it seems like what you’re talking about is automation or motorized rigging in some form. There’s almost always a significant price tag attached. Without being in your space and doing a site survey, I’m pretty sure we can’t fully answer your questions here in this forum- but we do love to try. I don’t know who would be the most geographically convenient vendor for you, but a starting point might be at the Springfield Little Theater about 90 minutes from you. I rigged the flying gear for their Peter Pan about 20 years ago and Jaime Bower & Chuck Rogers are solid individuals who might point you toward a solution.
Per the SLT website:
Chuck Rogers: [email protected] or (417) 234-8480 for all set design/construction or backstage crew inquiries
Jamie Bower:[email protected] or (417) 234-8539 for all lighting and sound inquiries
IF they remember Brian Reed formerly of ZFX Flying, that’s me. Like I said it’s been 20 years.
👍

IF they remember Brian Reed formerly of ZFX Flying, that’s me. Like I said it’s been 20 years.
👍
Hey Brian, you don't happen to know Danny Mangan do you? I can't remember what years he was with them but I feel like it's been about 15 years since he was down in lousville.

Hey Brian, you don't happen to know Danny Mangan do you? I can't remember what years he was with them but I feel like it's been about 15 years since he was down in lousville.
Josh, I don't. But maybe he came along after I left. When you say it's been 15 years since he's been in Louisville...are you talking about the SECC Easter Pageant? Which I did run the flying crew for in 2002 and 2003.

Josh, I don't. But maybe he came along after I left. When you say it's been 15 years since he's been in Louisville...are you talking about the SECC Easter Pageant? Which I did run the flying crew for in 2002 and 2003.
I can’t keep track of anything really anymore. Danny and his wife lived there for years and he was with zfx for awhile but they moved to Ohio sometime around 2008. Times just a blur.

An H&H 454 curtain motor would probably fit the bill. They are in Cali but I'm guessing there has got to be a couple folks on your side of the country who manufacture something similar. There is a LOT more to it than a simple motor on/motor off. Limit switches, over travel indicators. there a lot you can do to save yourself a headache down the road. Motor size will help with expenses as it sounds like, given the size of your curtain you could get away with a much smaller motor, 1/4 or 1/2 hp. there are a couple track mount model that might be convenient as they don't take up valuable backstage real estate.

I could easily add a valance to cover up the suspended tracking. Weight might be an issue, I'd be looking for lighter-weight tracking and curtain fiber, not the big huge thick black curtains. I'd like light-weight, with as much blackout as possible.
Regarding all exposed / visible to patrons items:
- Black is good; non-reflecting / matte black = Better.
- Matte black grommets are preferred over SHINY brass / nickle plated.
- Matte black curtain ties are preferred over white.
- Matte black track, supports, and system cables are also desired.
In summation: Black is not only beautiful but BEST.
I'll leave it to others to mention / discuss IFR curtain fabrics.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back