Movers needed

B Man

Hey Folks,
I work at very new venue. Originally, we purchased 5 Clay Paky Alpha Spot 800 ST and 12 Mac Auras. The MAC Auras are workhorses and have great output for our purposes. However, we've had a lot of problems with the Alpha Spots. Problems include: lamping off during use, fan errors, intermittent pan/tilt control, returning to the same focus twice and, as of late, a brand new lamps exploding (Phillips MSR Platinum) with only 20 hours on 'em.
I'm starting my search for new moving heads pronto.
I'm looking at:
MAC Viper Performance
MAC 350 Entour LED
High End Intellaspots
Here's what we need:
Quiet units for a very sensitive acoustic room
120V service, Framing shutters, iris, tight focus, nice clean whites, punchy and lots of gobos.
Any recommendations from all of you pros out there?

Definitely go for the Robe DLS, if you can afford the mild output drop. It's got white output that's between a 575 and a 700, but it throw it in saturated colors and it approaches or easily equals a 1200 watt source. l just did a third demo with this fixture recently, and it is truly impressive. It is very, very quiet. The only significant noises that it makes are when you do a zero-count move on shutters or iris. The fact that its' LED color mixing means that intensity, colors, and strobe are all completely silent (as they're all electronic control of the LED module). It's got preset whites in the virtual color wheel, and even has red-shift built in as an option for the two warm white presets. Robe is very readily showing around demos, so request one and see if it's the right unit for you.

If you need more punchy white, look at the HES SolaSpot 1500 Pro. It's a white system with mechanical CMY mixing. I haven't demo'd it, but it looks like it could be a winner. It's bigger though, and the color mixing system is more points of failure, though, which is why I prefer LED color mixing.

I cannot second the DLS enough. I also did a demo on the units, and they are simply amazing. They meet every single one of your criteria, the only argument possibly being on the Intensity. I would say the open white (8000/7000K) is Slightly Above a 575 Watt Mover, but in the 3200K, where in an arc mover you would lose intensity due to a filter in front of the lamp, it is in the range of a 700 Watt Arc-Based. We have used them side by side, and gotten within lumens of each other in the 3200K. Look at this thread. In colors (especially the Saturate Blues and Reds) this thing is super punchy. I just demoed the instrument last Thursday, and the only noise is when you move extremely quickly a shutter, or the iris. Besides that, it was silent. If you can wait, and intensity is super important, Robe seems to be developing a brother to the BMFL (the brightest mover I've seen to date), that will include framing shutters.

Hey Folks,
I work at very new venue. Originally, we purchased 5 Clay Paky Alpha Spot 800 ST and 12 Mac Auras. The MAC Auras are workhorses and have great output for our purposes. However, we've had a lot of problems with the Alpha Spots. Problems include: lamping off during use, fan errors, intermittent pan/tilt control, returning to the same focus twice and, as of late, a brand new lamps exploding (Phillips MSR Platinum) with only 20 hours on 'em.
I'm starting my search for new moving heads pronto.
I'm looking at:
MAC Viper Performance
MAC 350 Entour LED
High End Intellaspots
Here's what we need:
Quiet units for a very sensitive acoustic room
120V service, Framing shutters, iris, tight focus, nice clean whites, punchy and lots of gobos.
Any recommendations from all of you pros out there?

Wow- that's wild! I have a few of the Alpha 700 series and haven't had any problems. Are you still under warranty? How are you running your signal distribution? What's your controller?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back