Narrow self-standing sittable movable wall

Dojh167

For my show we have a short wall that we bring on stage for the second act. It fits between two other permanent set pieces with only a couple of inches on either side. I need to figure out how to make it sturdy enough so that it's supported from both directions if leaned/sat on.

The wall is 11' long, 3'9 feet tall. It has a plywood front supported by 2x4s every couple of feet and plywood on each side. The top ledge is 9" deep. Its in a black box-ish space, so can't be flown or on a track.

The act changeover is already pretty complicated, so the quicker/more easily executed solution, the better.

I am not much of a carpenter, yet the TD has asked me to solve this problem. We just loaded in the set and need to solve this asap.

Ideas that I have thought of but am unsure how to execute/how successful they will be are, uh.... somehow adding wheels? Though I don't know how to do this without taking apart some of the existing structure, and it may look like it's floating.... I think we also have some hardware that is an eye bolt on the top and has rivets to go into a socket on the other side. The TD suggested using these to attach it into the floor, but I still need to figure out the rest of the picture for full stability.

Last edited:
Rather than wheels, have you thought about using furniture sliders? This seems like the perfect candidate for them. We are using 80-ish Teflon sliders on our current show with very few problems.

That's a good suggestion for making it easier to move, but he main problem right now is supporting it properly given the limited space and the fact that it needs to move.

Edit:
Stage plugs and screws. That's what they're called.

If I attached plywood to the base (and maybe framed the back with a 2x4?) and fastened the stage screws through that to the floor, would the wall be secure enough in both directions?

Last edited:
Assuming there's an upstage side you could hinge out an A-frame cut from plywood, which would keep it from falling backward. You would need stage screws to prevent it tipping forward. Can the permanent set pieces this wall fits between provide any bracing or does the wall have to be free-standing?

Okay, so the stage screws will only stabilize it in one direction? The thing is there is really only a couple of inches of space on the upstage side, which doesn't seem like enough for an A-frame.

I think it needs to be free standing. Behind it is a hill structure made from multi leveled irregular platform covered in chicken wire/cardboard/muslin, and in front is a 2D hanging tree

Users who are viewing this thread

Back