Need advice on rigging

csilvia9

I am working at a school where the stage has no fly system whatsoever. I am fairly new to the theater world so learning as I go. I am working with a tight budget but would like to have a very simple fly system (Im talking for scrims, and light props only, not people) installed, but would like to know what a basic system would consist of and what I should be looking for.
As usual any advise is appreciated

Let's assume the space cannot accommodate a full fly tower or has any appetite for the safety concerns with same. Let us also assume that there is little need to move stuff during a performance. Let us also assume that safety, maintenance and misuse are a concern, and the structure is capable of supporting something.

In such a situation I would be looking at ETC Prodigy, JR Clancy Powerlift, or Draper Torkstar systems.

Manual winch systems are also an option, but by the time you deal with installation costs and putting all the right safety features in place, the price differential may warrant the motorized rigging.

... waiting for the people that do this for a living to weigh in.

The first thing you need to look at your structure..can the building it self handle a fly system, is it tall enough for a fly system, there are different loads placed on a building when you start talking about moving things.

I can't speak about the Draper system, but Prodigy and Powerlift aren't anything I would say fits in a "tight budget"?

Let's start with some questions:

1) What's your financial pain threshold on the cost of this?

2) How tall is your proscenium?

3) How tall is the area above your stage?

4) What is the roof above the stage made out of? (are there huge steel I-Beams or just some wood joists?)

5) Have you talked to any installers about this?

6) How many battens do you want and what do you want to be able to do with them?

7) What kind of things are hanging above your stage right now (I presume lighting positions and curtains -- if so, how many?)

Without seeing the facility or knowing much about it, the most anyone on CB can do is guide you in a direction, but if you're serious about this, call a local theatrical dealer, ask if they do rigging installs, and if so, ask them to take a look at your facility. The worst that will happen is they'll show up, look around, and be able to to definitely tell you that you can't. If you can though, they can immediately start talking with you about some of your options. It costs nothing to have someone take a look at your stage and talk to you, so make some phone calls and set up a meeting.

I had started a different response and then searched because I knew this was a familiar topic and then found your last thread about it. First questions was did you ever get in touch with Ethan over at Alps? (from the last thread)

Give me a call at the office and let's see what I might BA able to do for you.

Ethan
781-961-3066
ETCP certified rigger
Egilson at alpsweb dot com

the second major question has already been raised, what's the structure above the stage look like? ie, does it have the space to install a system and can it handle the weight requirements.

As the others have said, we need to know a lot more about your space to even begin to offer advice. Also, as others have said, what range of $$ are we talking about? Counter weight line sets run about $4,000 - $6,000 each installed. Hand crank winch sets roughly the same, Pile wind winches about $9K each, PowerLifts, Vortek, Prodigy et al run from about $18K to $25K each installed for the low end models. Dead hung rigging or Hemp style sand bag rigging is highly variable depending on the building structure. Still in the market???

Last edited:
And realistically, if you need to hang a scrim, there are methods to hang a scrim without using a fly system, namely rigging a pipe and tying the scrim on. If you need it to move, a track might be a more economical method. Need a small hand prop to magically appear? You can rig up a pulley system to make that happen. However, all of these things need to be consulted on by someone who knows what they are doing, so either way, you will want to get a person who knows their stuff.

And realistically, if you need to hang a scrim, there are methods to hang a scrim without using a fly system, namely rigging a pipe and tying the scrim on. If you need it to move, a track might be a more economical method. Need a small hand prop to magically appear? You can rig up a pulley system to make that happen. However, all of these things need to be consulted on by someone who knows what they are doing, so either way, you will want to get a person who knows their stuff.

This is more of what I think we need, I was just not sure what I should be asking for when contacting someone to come and take a look. Thank you for your advice.

I can't speak about the Draper system, but Prodigy and Powerlift aren't anything I would say fits in a "tight budget"?

Let's start with some questions:

1) What's your financial pain threshold on the cost of this? Well I need a ballpark to start raising the funds.

2) How tall is your proscenium? 21'

3) How tall is the area above your stage? about 10'

4) What is the roof above the stage made out of? (are there huge steel I-Beams or just some wood joists?) above the stage are steel I-Beams, currently there are two sets of curtains, and 2 side rails hanging from them. as well as a light bar.

5) Have you talked to any installers about this? Not yet, I just wanted to get an idea of what I should be asking for.

6) How many battens do you want and what do you want to be able to do with them?
I really just need one or two, would like to be able to hand a scrim, and possibly a pully system to fly very light small props, like under 20#

7) What kind of things are hanging above your stage right now (I presume lighting positions and curtains -- if so, how many?) I guess I answered this already but yes a set of curtains up stage and a set down, a light bar across the front, and two side rails with tracks for side curtains, 2 on each side.

Without seeing the facility or knowing much about it, the most anyone on CB can do is guide you in a direction, but if you're serious about this, call a local theatrical dealer, ask if they do rigging installs, and if so, ask them to take a look at your facility. The worst that will happen is they'll show up, look around, and be able to to definitely tell you that you can't. If you can though, they can immediately start talking with you about some of your options. It costs nothing to have someone take a look at your stage and talk to you, so make some phone calls and set up a meeting.

I understand since you can not see the area you can not give specifics. I was just trying to get an idea of what to ask for when I do contact some local people to come take a look. My first priority of course is safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back