Need new sound board or a Amp ideas?

Eiolon

My high school has 4 Peavey Impulse 200 Speakers that need to be powered. The specs are of each Speaker is:

1200 Watt Peak
600 Watt RMS Programed
300 Watt RMS 49V
80 MHZ
1500HZ
8 ohm

Our current sound board that we use for it is really out dated and only pushes 150 watt rms. So I looking to either find a Amp to hook up to the board that can power the 4 speakers or a new board with built in amp that can do it. If its a new board I need at least 8 mic channel. We looking to spend around 500-2000 dollars. We prefer to go cheap if we can.

An amp and unpowered mixer would be my recommendation.

Allen & Heath's ZED series mixers are an excellent value and you could match it with an EV amp for a dependable system.

Im not to knolable on powerd mixers (mainly to the fact i hate them) but i dont think ull get aa powerd mixer that will have anouth power to run the 4 speakers with anouth power to now damage the mixer (underpowering speakers that draw to much power from the amp damages stuff and all that), i would defnetly go for an unpowerd mixer and two 2 chanle amps or a 4 way amp un less you daisy chain them, as for the board i would recomend allen and heath or soundcraft, dont go for beringer, there boards r rubish unless u go for tthe 32 chanle ones that cost a fair bit.

wow i did just read that and reolised what i typed... my pc putting up letters on my screan very slowlyy atm, no idea why. Didnt get a proper read of what i was typeing, thats why I took 15 mins to type that new message :S

Last edited:
Im not to knolable on powerd mixers (mainly to the fact i hate them) but i dont think ull get aa powerd mixer that will have anouth power to run the 4 speakers with anouth power to now damage the mixer (underpowering speakers that draw to much power from the amp damages stuff and all that), i would defnetly go for an unpowerd mixer and two 2 chanle amps or a 4 way amp un less you daisy chain them, as for the board i would recomend allen and heath or soundcraft, dont go for beringer, there boards r rubish unless u go for tthe 32 chanle ones that cost a fair bit.

Sorry, Alex, couldn't even get past the first couple of lines of your post. Maybe take 2 is in order...

lol sorry ok ill simple it down :oops: I do rant on sometime :S,

I dont think you will be able to get a power mixer that will power the speakers with the corect power, it sounds like you were under powering those speakers, i sugest that you get an unpowerd mixer like an allen and heath or soundcraft. alllen and heath zed sereis 8 mono chanle mixer would be your best option in my opinon. As to amps i would get ever two 2 chanle amps or a 4 chanle amp, not to sure what ones you should get. Allso doing this would give you a more flexible system. Also may i sugest getting a 31 band graphical EQ, after we got one for our system we have been able to get so much more out of our system.

Last edited:
My high school has 4 Peavey Impulse 200 Speakers that need to be powered. The specs are of each Speaker is:

1200 Watt Peak
600 Watt RMS Programed
300 Watt RMS 49V
80 MHZ
1500HZ
8 ohm

Our current sound board that we use for it is really out dated and only pushes 150 watt rms. So I looking to either find a Amp to hook up to the board that can power the 4 speakers or a new board with built in amp that can do it. If its a new board I need at least 8 mic channel. We looking to spend around 500-2000 dollars. We prefer to go cheap if we can.
How are the four speakers wired? What is the current powered mixer? What about the current setup is unacceptable or lacking?

We need to know how the speakers are wired to ascertain how they would connect to a powered mixer or amplifier and to determine the impedance they would present to those devices. We need to know the current mixer to know if it can easily support an external amplifier. We need to know what you are trying to do to know if any recommendations could provide the desired result.

Just to be sure it is understood, if you went from 150W to 600W that would be a 6dB increase in output. That is definitely noticeable but closer to a perceived 150% of the current loudness and not a 400% increase as might be inferred from the 600W/150W relationship. But what the actual power is for your current setup and for any alternatives depends on the existing mixer/amp and how the four speakers are wired.

Allen & Heath's ZED series mixers are an excellent value and you could match it with an EV amp for a dependable system.

However, I would say that you are better off with an A&H MixWizard. They should be cheaper, are probably better suited to what you need and are built better than the ZED desks

However, I would say that you are better off with an A&H MixWizard. They should be cheaper, are probably better suited to what you need and are built better than the ZED desks
A quick look at a few major vendors shows a MixWiz 12:2 to be around $900 while a ZED-22 FX is around $800, a ZED-24 around $700 and a ZED-14 around $400. So while I generally agree with the better built aspect, the MixWiz would likely not be cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back