Need new usb hardware and software. Please help.

Hello, people who know way more about dmx than I do.

Here's what I have.
I have 4 dmx dimmer packs, a "12v, 27channel dmx, rgb controller," several dmx disco ball spot lights, two strips of 12v, rgb strip light, one disco ball and a computer with an output to a stereo. Currently I have a velleman usb dongle and freestyler. I am learning that the velleman k8062 is not the right dongle and freestyler is not the software that I want. I have all of this on a boat, so, low wattage is a concern.

Here's what I want.
This boat is going to be a crazy, lit up party for our local, waterfront blues festival. I would like a dongle and software that will enable me to control the rgb lights, the rgb spot lights and also have them react to music. The other use for all of this nonsense is Christmas. In the past, I have done a sequenced, incandescent light show on the boat. This year, I intend to use all rgb led, and the software/hardware that I have is not up to the task.

I am not afraid to spend a little (more) money. I clearly need a new dongle and some software. On the other hand, this is a toy to me, so I don't need to spend real money, since there will be no return on any of this.

Here are my questions.
What is the difference between enttec and enttec pro?
Is there a difference between an enttec controller from enttec, or one that is enttec compatible?
What software do I want to check out for rgb lights, time sequence light shows and sound reactive lights?

Please keep in mind that I am a filthy construction worker and don't know an aweful lot about computers, networks, or spelling, for all that matter.
Oh yeah, the computer is a pc running windows 7. I have an android phone, and someday would think I was pretty cool if I could remote the boat lights from my phone.

Thanks,
Mark

There is an excellent possibility that I am not running Freestyler properly, but it locks up a lot. The only way I can get it to restart is to reboot the computer. From the reading that I have done, that might be due to the Velleman dongle, not the software.

The programming on freestyler seems a little tedious too. It takes a long time to do a sequence, and I have not had any luck editing out mistakes. It seems a little glitchy.

Welcome to CB Mark! I moved your thread to the Lighting Forum. Not all of out members regularly visit the New Member Board. I am certain you will receive more responses here.

Be sure to stop back by the New Member Board and introduce yourself to everyone when you have the chance.

~Dave

You will be much happier with either the Enttec Pro or the DMXKing ultraMicro interfaces. They are software compatable with each other. The Velleman and the Enttec Open rely on the host computer to provide timing signals whereas the Pro and micro have their own built in microprocessors to do that. Works much better! I have gone so far as to remove the Velleman as an option from my lighting control software.

Regarding lockups and reboots: When software fully captures or marries a port, the stage is set for lockups, which usually occur when another software driver that is on the machine tries to access the port as well. My thought is that anytime you are using a computer to run a show, it should be a clean "single purpose" machine.

How any given piece of software behaves on a machine varies greatly. Some get along well, others are a bit greedy! Ports also vary in how quarrelsome they are. Generally, Parallel ports are the worst, followed by old style Serial ports. USB is usually pretty forgiving, but not always ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back