Microphones Need Recommendation For Wireless Mic...

masterelectrician2112

My church sound guy asked me to come up with a couple of recommendations for a wireless headworn microphone for our pastor. He thought that I might have more experience with headworn mics since I do some work in theatres and he has only done sound for my church. Although I do have more experience with these types of mics, I do not have nearly enough to make a good recommendation. He wants a headworn mic. Boom or loose is fine. It must be flesh toned. We are a very traditional church (nothing contemporary) so he doesn't want the mic to look like a "pop star mic" on the pastor. He asked me to come up with two recommendations: one should be a higher end model and the other would ideally be a more economical model. Thanks in advance CB!

Just tossing out a few ideas--A new low profile "not pop star" looking mic could be the E2 by Countryman....like the E6 but half the boom length... How does it sound?--ask me in few days when my demo unit comes in for me to play with and I'll let ya know.. :)

E2 Earset - Countryman Associates, Inc.

The other thought on the high price end would be the Sennheiser HS 2 or the HSP2 or 3 with the MKE capsule...but are nice and comfortable like wearing nothing...

Sennheiser USA - condenser omnidirectional head mic, HS 2, headset microphone, - Professional Audio
Sennheiser USA - headset wireless microphone, condenser capsule, HSP 2, high audio quality, neckband design, - Professional Audio

-w

He asked me to come up with two recommendations: one should be a higher end model.
The highest of the high: DPA's. Pick your favorite flavor.
But any of the Countryman will qualify as well.
Sennheiser should be forgotten either.

He asked me to come up with two recommendations: one be a more economical model.
MM Audio, however there is this thread reviewing them. The general consensus was not positive.

The hurdle that you will face is that the cheaper you go, the bigger they become(read: more pop-star). So with exemption to the MMAudio offerings, prices will be high.

MM Audio, however there is this thread reviewing them. The general consensus was not positive.

The hurdle that you will face is that the cheaper you go, the bigger they become(read: more pop-star). So with exemption to the MMAudio offerings, prices will be high.

I'm the one who wrote that review, but I'd be fine with the 2-eared MM-PSM for a pastor to use. That's a really low-abuse utilization, and as long as it was stored properly, it would last very well for the price.

I would recommend dual ear so they don't flop around. My quick answer is:

DPA 4066 ~$500 each
MM-Audio dual-ear ~$115 each

both will have small elements, and both will have the windscreen foam.

We got our Pastor a Countryman E6. Keep in mind that Lutherans are usually bashful about mics. He likes wearing it just fine. And I love the way it sounds. It is very natural sounding and way better in all respects than most lav mics. At any distance, it is visually unobtrusive.

One thing I recommend is to dedicate the mic to one person, if you can. The user will be happier if he/she doesn't have to adjust the fit every time they go to put the mic on.

One thing I recommend is to dedicate the mic to one person, if you can. The user will be happier if he/she doesn't have to adjust the fit every time they go to put the mic on.
The E6i is so easy to fit to different people. Seriously, bending it feels like magic; it will hold its shape until you don't want it to, then it bends like rubber. I love that mic.

FMEng said:
We got our Pastor a Countryman E6. Keep in mind that Lutherans are usually bashful about mics. He likes wearing it just fine. And I love the way it sounds. It is very natural sounding and way better in all respects than most lav mics. At any distance, it is visually unobtrusive.

Yes, our church hardly ever does contemporary worship, so they do not like anything flashy. Great suggestions, though, everyone!

Be sure to read the other thread on the MM mics. The consensus seems to be, you get what you pay for, and you don't pay much for MM.

I submitted most of everyone's suggestions for review. He wouldn't give me a budget at the start because he wanted to see what was out there that was really high end. I don't know which one he chose, but I will get back to you all on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back