Control/Dimming Need recommendations on system upgrades

kpud

So at my school, we are currently running a strand console that is basicly dead, i say that because it is running strand osv2.8.6 on a single core pentium ~1ghz, which is on its way out along with having very small capacity ram i dont know the ammount but its less than 50MB. As much as i dont like the system specs, i can't really complain because those parts do what they need... However, both the internal drives are dead, and they run ide, so finding a replacement is expesnive especially with the odd disk limit (it doesn't like drives bigger than 10gb) which is a very big pain. So, i am currently looking for a replacement for the console, i would prefer using a laptop as it can be used as a portable system. The theater has access to 4 ibook g4's (mainly used for qlab) and 9 macbook pros (3-09's and 6-12's). If necessiary, i can also acquire a pc for the use of lighting. so if you guys have any recommendations on software or hardware to get, that would be great!

If you are mostly running a fixed cue list, take a look at GAM Plexus ( disclaimer - I am one of the developers of this product ). It is designed to be intuitive and simple to learn, but still be powerful

It runs under a windows platform, so you would have to run boot camp on your Mac machines ( that's what I do ).

You can download a trial copy from the GAM website and take a look.

Check out the Chamsys software and hardware solutions. You can download the demo software for free. (actually run some of it.)

No disclaimer, I don't know the dudes! :cool:

First of all this isn't a cell phone, laptop, or any of the other electronic devices you have been taught to throw away every three years because they don't match modern specs. A lightboard is a long term investment. Most of us stay with the same lightboard for over 15 years. Just because it doesn't have the latest operating system, or ram that meets modern standards doesn't mean it can't do the same job it was designed for. A friend of mine just upgraded his 30+ year old Colortran light board last year. I focused some lights yesterday that were made in the 70's and still do their job just fine. In theater you upgrade when you can no longer get parts, when your light board can't keep up with the current needs of other recently added equipment, when repairs cost more than new gear, or when someone gives you a bunch of money. If you are at a typical high school, I'm guessing no one has given you money and I'm guessing your old light board probably does meet your current needs. So the question is "Can you get and afford parts?" If all you need to repair your light board is a hard drive do a Google search. I found that 10 GB IDE hard drives are easily available for under $50 (refurbished start at $30). You will not last long in this industry if you can't develop the ability to do things with old gear, repair old gear, and keep your work looking amazing on a small budget. If you always need the latest console, prepare yourself for disappointment. There are Cirque Du Soleil shows still running 15+ year old Strand 500 series consoles. Why? Because it would cost an insane amount of money to shut down the show and reprogram a new console to do the same job. Just loosing one day of performances for a Vegas show costs hundreds of thousands of dollars in revenue. So until they can no longer get parts to keep them going they keep using the same gear.

Second point. How many times when you are running a school assembly or talent show do you grab multiple submasters at once? House lights down, light up on area three, light up on the podium, add in some backlight to the cyc... all at once go... wait no I want more blue on the cyc... you tweak and adjust on the fly. You simply can not do that with a software based control system. I can't tell you how many times I've reached high levels of frustration with PC controlled software because all I want to do is move two submasters at the same time but I can't because there's only one mouse. Sure if you can pre-program EVERYTHING it's easy, but most of us don't do that, especially in a school environment. You program your shows but what about the rest of the time? Even the act of programming itself can be slowed by the inability to grab several area submasters and hit record. Unless it has a controller wing (YEAH handles!), I do my best to avoid software based control systems.

SO, I strongly encourage you to put aside your prejudice to old technology and fix your old board. If it really is only a hard drive that's a simple fix that will cost you next to nothing. Fix it and leave it in the theater for everyday use. If you decide you still want to mess around with a software solution for big shows, Fantastic! You will find you have a lot more options and power to program with.

Getting back to your quesiton, of what software should you use? There are many options out there to choose from, most of which have been discussed in detail here on CB so start by doing your homework and searching. It's hard for us to tell you what to get without knowing more about your system, your theater, and what you do with it. You'll find a lot of information here especially on: Plexus and Chamsys MagicQ as well as many others like Enttec's DMXis and D-pro. I'm not familiar with dbaxter's Cue Player but I'm sure it's worth looking at and like Plexus you've got him right here to answer questions. Also remember many of the major manufacturers sell a computer version of their consoles. Most all of these have free trials that you can experiment with.

Last edited:
gafftaper has it right.

Finding new hard drive(s?) for your board shouldn't be hard at all, and if it is, you're looking in the wrong places. You say they are dead, though, does that mean completely dead or just warning of their imminent demise?

Also, don't let the low numbers fool you. A light board is a very specific computing device with one simple task: running lights. It doesn't need a lot of storage, nor does it need a lot of power for the tasks it's designed to perform. Newer boards may have higher numbers, but they may also have more complicated operating systems, more software, more functionality for a targeted group (moving lights, etc), and not really a whole lot more functionality if all you're doing is running conventionals.

To chime in on the hardware need not be powerful to run a light board, here are the specs for 4 of the boards that still see semi-regular service around here:
1.) Martin 3064 controller based PC - 486DX @ 66MHz, 16MB RAM, DOS 6, 500MB? (I think) IDE hard drive. Martin Protocol ISA card, VGA monitor, serial mouse. Least tempermental controller for the Martin Roboscan collection (Compared to Avolites Azure and RoadHog 3, includes the fixtures in tempermentalness)
2.) Lehigh Millenium - Pentium I, 16 MB RAM, Windows 95 - Retired for an ETC Emphasis system due to ability to generate BSOD on command, used when a non-standard venue needs to do actual theater.
3.) Leprecon LP-500 - 12 channel, 10V analog. Purchased in 1980. Still gets the job done.
4.) Avolites/LCS Precept. Backup board for when something nicer (Express 48/96 or LP-1536) isn't available or can't be transported to venue. Again, does the job just fine for lights up/lights down events.

Have to agree with the comments about what is needed to run a light board. Here is a surprising fact:
By number of devices, what is the most popular operating system in use in the world? Answer- MS-DOS !!!
It is used in almost all cash registers as well as any other stand alone devices that do not require a graphic display.
The entire OS fits on about 64k of ROM.

We have systems running on intel 1086 (pre 186 and 286) processors, I think they run at about 10mhz. Why haven't they been replaced? No need to, they are running smoothly and it would probably cost a million in hardware and software to update to newer technology and nothing to show for it. It would still run the same.

By number of devices, what is the most popular operating system in use in the world? Answer- MS-DOS !!!

Do you have a source for that claim? I would have thought ITRON (electronics, automotive, appliances, etc.) or VxWorks (everywhere including Mars) laid claim to being in more devices than anything produced by the company from Redmond.

Do you have a source for that claim? I would have thought ITRON (electronics, automotive, appliances, etc.) or VxWorks (everywhere including Mars) laid claim to being in more devices than anything produced by the company from Redmond.

PC Magazine about 3 years back. Most appliances run 4 bit and 8 bit, (ex- your microwave oven) I am not sure if they were excluded. MS-DOS is 16 bit and there is a wide variety of compiler programs (V-basic, Q-basic, etc.) to compose on (all free at this point.) Cash register and credit card capture terminals are the biggest users. As long as there is no need for GUI, almost anybody could sit down and code in it. (Who, over 30, hasn't?)
</offtopic>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back