New Board

OK, now it's time for you to take a look at the manual, especially the section about tracking.

It's available on the website.\

SB

"For the Express series, how would I change lights in the middle of a show? Would I be able to adjust faders if running from memory mode or would I simply type it in?"

You can also use the track pad to fade a selected channel(s) up or down and then use update to save the change. Also something many people miss the two touch sensitive areas to the left of the trackpad adjust the sensitivity of the trackpad tapping the top one will make the level go up faster the bottom one slower.

"Also, for programming lights, can I set it all using channels and subs and then capture that look for a cue?"

Keep in mind that the update feature will NOT record the levels from subs ETC uses colors to indicate what is causing a channel to be at a given level.

I agree with SteveB that you should check out the manual just keep in mind that the Express is not a true tracking board like a Hog II or the Obsession II. I'm not saying don't use tracking with an Express but if you do you should memorize the part on the manual that covers it as tracking mode on an Express can do some wierd things.

Ok. Still working on this proposal for the new principal and I've been considering a WRFU. What all do I need to set up the system for this using an Express series board. I would like a HP or Compaq Ipaq PDA to run it if possible. Also, if rough prices could be included, that would be great.

I have the WRFU just released by ETC. It really isn't all it's cracked up to be. For one, it doesn't have a screen. That doesn't seem like it is a big deal, but it is. ESPECIALLY if you decide to try and record things on it. It doesn't receive every command flawlessly, and it takes 2-3 tries to get the lights you want to come up. The buttons are lit red from behind, which is an entirely worthless feature, since what the buttons do is written White on Grey on the side, so it is hard to read in even low light.

My suggestion? Get a wired rfu with a crazy long cord. It is a bit more of a hassle to lug around, but IMHO, worth the pain.

my 2c

That's why I want the Compaq Ipaq PDA to run the software and work as an WRFU. How do I set this up for the Express series?

im not exactly sure, since i dont use ETC, but just call up ETC support, and they will handle everything for you. like others have said, theyre great with support.

the main reason i would suggest using ETC over Strand is while strand is a popular company, ETC is the standard. and programming a expression after you learn an express isnt to difficult. most theatres these days will own an ETC board. they just simply are the core of this industry. so buying an ETC board will help people who plan on going into this industry

Unfortunately, I do not believe that you can have a WRFU on an Express. However, ETC does offer a RRFU (Radio RFU). This does not have any screen, and does not look as cool, nor does it have the sex appeal of the WRFU, but it should do most of the same stuff. It does not have a screen, but besides that, its mostly there.

ETC's page for the RRFU

Jumpjet, I assumed that, but I just wanted to remove any confusion, if someone went to the ETC website and looked at the WRFU, as opposed to the RRFU.

Eee! This thread is full of mass confusion!

To answer your questions:

24/48 has 96 channels, but it shares faders with subs so you basically have 24 faders for 96 channels, which is a bitch. I know because we just purchased this board at my school. I highly suggest going for the 48/96, with 192 channels, it will make people's lives a lot easier.

I would suggest Stage Technology as a place to purchase. Make sure to ask about an educational institution discount and such.

I would highly recommend downloading the ETC Express(ion) OLE to see if the syntax works for you.

If you want the Compaq PDA WRFU you will want to upgrade to Emphasis, which isn't so cheap, about $4-6k on top of the console, plus monitors and such.

If you would like some examples of showfiles to run in the OLE let me know and I'll see if I can dig some up. It always helps to be able to look at an existing creation to learn how it was created.

I also suggest to invest in the desk lamps. I want the m so bad dealing with big outboard clip lights and such is a pain in the rear, not to mention the outlet space you'd save.

Hmm since when was there a censor, cool!

Just qurious how things are going.

Wait a second theres no q in curious.

Did you see my post on the previous page? Unfortunately, I've somehow misplaced all my showdisks but for the Pied Piper, which was a really dull show so it's not the best example, but my offer still stands.

Radman, unfortunately, my meeting with our new principal isn't for about three more weeks. I will be sure to let everyone know how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back