New HES LED Moving Head

What do you guess will be the MSRP for this fixture?

• More than $20,001.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • $10,001-$20,000.

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • Less than $10,000.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • No clue.

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
pork I think they have a great theatrical posibillity. In theory they're a rather efficent wash light. It also has the opportunity of becoming a scenic element during appropriate musicals and Rock Opera's.

I needs me a spec sheet.

pork I think they have a great theatrical posibillity. In theory they're a rather efficent wash light. It also has the opportunity of becoming a scenic element during appropriate musicals and Rock Opera's.
I needs me a spec sheet.

I haven't had time to compare yet, however would this be the best instrument for a wash LED fixture? You are paying the money for all of the effects it can do, and yet you would probably only have uses for them in the theatre once or twice. At that point, it probably would be more economical to purchase the Elation unit and rent these for those few rare times you might need those extra splashy effects.

I haven't had time to compare yet, however would this be the best instrument for a wash LED fixture? You are paying the money for all of the effects it can do, and yet you would probably only have uses for them in the theatre once or twice. At that point, it probably would be more economical to purchase the Elation unit and rent these for those few rare times you might need those extra splashy effects.
Depends on the theatre.

This fixture would be way better if all those LED's where sitting behind a lense. Otherwise it's a overpacked moving head washlight that's just eye candy for those of us who like watching the lighting fixtures more than the performance.

This fixture would be way better if all those LED's where sitting behind a lense. Otherwise it's a overpacked moving head washlight that's just eye candy for those of us who like watching the lighting fixtures more than the performance.

Uhm....how would a lense fix this?

One of the great thing about led fixtures is that you don't need a lens.

Hey all,

Got an email from a friend at the Los Angeles area office of HES. The email has a link to the SHOWPIX being used for the very first time.

Here is a link to the SHOWPIX in action.

First show that has used the SHOWPIX

Thought you might all want to see them in action, used in a show environment.

Enjoy :p

too bad it was used on something with such crappy music, if you even want to call it that. Oh, and one appears to not be working.

Got to agree Tim I spent a lot of time staring at the light that wasn't working. Assuming a price of atleast $12,500 each the most recent video has a quarter million dollars in Showpix fixtures (20 x 12500 = 250000). Either the fixtures need to be dirt cheap (not something HES is known for) or these fixtures are going to have to have some LD's that are very up on the times and armed with great control equipment. Looking at the video, the fixtures are used for very simple applications compared to potential. If I had these in any large number I'd have them in 451 channel mode and upload detailed animated gif's to them. This isn't really hard but couldn't be easily done with "old school" methods.

Me? I'm in my spaceship, that's why I work for NASA.

Also, why are at least 7 members of the audience wearing sunglasses?

The unresponsive Showpix is pretty funny.

On the whole, I was unimpressed by the application of the Showpix, given its potential.

Some rap/hip-hop is good, this was not.

I endured watching some other videos, and one thing that really suprised me is they would completely change out the ground lighting rig for each performer. They had one guy who had a whole multilevel stage covered in color blasts and they did some effects, but definately not to their potential either. They cannot say they are lacking in moving lights though.

Now now don't be hatin' on ma boy Young Jeezy!

I didn't realize how huge those things were.

Not impressed by their application, my ground isn't shattered yet.

the one not working was funny. I bet someone got in trouble for that.

I still say some 60" Carbon Arc search lights with custom scrollers would be more awesome, and cost about the same.

And as for the shades, of course they need shades, and big famous "stars" they must shiel their eyes, lest they get kliegl eye.

If I had these in any large number I'd have them in 451 channel mode and upload detailed animated gif's to them. This isn't really hard but couldn't be easily done with "old school" methods.

You would essentially have to run each fixture its own universe. Can you imagine the amount of DP2000's or NSP's. The 70 channel mode would allow you to do what you want as it has the media server functions. The 451 channel version has the media server AND individual control of all LEDs. I can't fathom how long it would take to program one fixture in that mode.

You would essentially have to run each fixture its own universe. Can you imagine the amount of DP2000's or NSP's. The 70 channel mode would allow you to do what you want as it has the media server functions. The 451 channel version has the media server AND individual control of all LEDs. I can't fathom how long it would take to program one fixture in that mode.

If you know your board well and can use pixel mappers, no time at all. And you wouldn't have to worry about loading the content on to the fixture.

For me, the benefits don't outweigh the extra programming time. Scott from HES said he ran them in 70 channel mode during that BET outing. Considering the added complexity and processing requirements of the system running mutlitple showpix in 451 ch mode, it makes sense to run them in 70 channel IMHO.

is the price out yet, as the poll has closed?

edit:

looks like they solved the issues with heat, shame they didn't put these on their led tester called the showgun
proxy.php

Last edited:
yeah the price was listed in the last issue of plsn, $16K I think?

wow most of the people got it right then

As a side note, and this is coming from a sound dude, I was at the 3 Doors Down concert last night, and they had about six of these (that I could see) in the truss. Very cool fixture.

3 Doors Down has exactly six Showpix. I plan on working the load-in just to see them, as I wouldn't be able to see them from the House Followspot positions.

If you're working it, it's a good show. Just mind the flames shooting out of the deck (and truss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back