The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

New Performing arts fundraiser

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by Alfonso, May 20, 2019.

1. Alfonso

Alfonso Member

Hello, I have a go fund me to help get funding to start a new performing arts center in my town I was curious if I can post a link to have it shared on here?

RonHebbard likes this.
  2. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Just you, or is there a board of directors? Is it a registered non-profit?

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. Alfonso

Alfonso Member

Its me and a couple people I used to work with, not a registered non profit.

4. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Accepting other people's money is a serious matter. I hate to dampen the enthusiasm, but I wouldn't give unless those two conditions were met, and I have a feeling that's true for most donors, especially for larger gifts and grants.

Having worked for a start-up non-profit that raised $7 Million in 4.5 months, to buy a broadcast license, I recall that we couldn't accept a dime until we had non-profit status.

We already had a governing board. In terms of starting a board, you need a few people who are successful in their fields. Former politicians, business people, leaders in the community. One or two with local name recognition is helpful.

I suggest that you need to talk with an attorney before going any further. And there is record keeping for donor's taxes. What happens if you fail? Is there a mechanism to return the money?

If it was easy, someone would have already done it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    TimMc and RonHebbard like this.