New Portable Power Distribution Technician Certification

I find the most interesting aspect to be this:
The body of knowledge contained in the Portable Power Distribution Technician certification is a subset of the Entertainment Electrician certification. Therefore, a certified EE is qualified to perform all tasks of a certified PPDT, but a certified PPDT is not qualified to perform all the tasks of a certified EE.
To me that says there's no reason for an Entertainment Electrician to achieve PPDT certification, correct? So other than exhibit/trade show technicians, or those working on shows where one company provides power for all depts., who's this certification for? I suspect the vast majority of our members should want to strive for EE over PPDT.

Just curious, what is the job title of the person this is intended for? This more of an expo setting or the house guy at an arena that has no gear and just ties in road equipment every day? @MrsFooter might disagree, but it looks like the easiest parts of the test are pulled out and just the "hard" stuff is left. Is the work hour requirement the same?

What's the point? If the PPDT is a subset of the EE and the exam fees are all the same, why wouldn't people just go for the EE?

I find the most interesting aspect to be this:

To me that says there's no reason for an Entertainment Electrician to achieve PPDT certification, correct? So other than exhibit/trade show technicians, or those working on shows where one company provides power for all depts., who's this certification for? I suspect the vast majority of our members should want to strive for EE over PPDT.

You are correct,sir.

ST

What's the point? If the PPDT is a subset of the EE and the exam fees are all the same, why wouldn't people just go for the EE?

Seems silly now. Even the EE certification, basically has no worth in the current job market, but time will tell; The ETCP Rigging Certifications are becoming a standard that is accepted, and and expected by many companies and locals.

The difference though, is that there are not really any other standards, certifications, or licenses for rigging. It was a practice in need of standardization an certification; ETCP took on this task. Electrical work on the other hand had already been well regulated, had standards set, and workers have been LICENSED by the GOVERNMENT. The Fisher Price certifications from ETCP currently carry little weight. Now I have seen Licensed electrical contractors royally f-up theater/entertainment installs, because they have never seen a cam-lock connector, so there is absolutely room to grow, but I don't see the point the new cert. Even the Entertainment Electrician cert is pretty rudimentary, no need to add a short bus version.

Seems silly now. Even the EE certification, basically has no worth in the current job market, but time will tell; The ETCP Rigging Certifications are becoming a standard that is accepted, and and expected by many companies and locals.

The difference though, is that there are not really any other standards, certifications, or licenses for rigging. It was a practice in need of standardization an certification; ETCP took on this task. Electrical work on the other hand had already been well regulated, had standards set, and workers have been LICENSED by the GOVERNMENT. The Fisher Price certifications from ETCP currently carry little weight. Now I have seen Licensed electrical contractors royally f-up theater/entertainment installs, because they have never seen a cam-lock connector, so there is absolutely room to grow, but I don't see the point the new cert. Even the Entertainment Electrician cert is pretty rudimentary, no need to add a short bus version.

There are currently no certifications or licenses focused on portable power distribution. Even licensed electricians often lack skills in this area. The trade show and event industry needed such a certification to insure a consistent level of competence among workers in that industry. The EE certification has a focus on "production related" skills that were not relevant to the PPDT target practitioners--hence the creation of a new certification. As to your comment about "rudimentary" ETCP certifications that have "no worth"--I respectfully disagree completely.

ST

There are currently no certifications or licenses focused on portable power distribution. Even licensed electricians often lack skills in this area. The trade show and event industry needed such a certification to insure a consistent level of competence among workers in that industry. The EE certification has a focus on "production related" skills that were not relevant to the PPDT target practitioners--hence the creation of a new certification. As to your comment about "rudimentary" ETCP certifications that have "no worth"--I respectfully disagree completely.

ST
Hey if they have a market for it, then great. I guess people are confused because we assumed it was a lesser version of the EE cert, rather then a certification for a different market. If you read my post further, and maybe it was unclear, my point was that the Rigging certs have become a true standard, but I have yet to see may employers or venues putting much value on the electrical certifications, though I hope that it picks up steam in the future.

My question is what does this certification gain someone? I went to college and recieved a degree in Theatre. Through a series of coursework and practicums I was trained in the skill sets listed for both the entertainment electrician and the power distribution technician. What value does having this certification give me? I have a BFA. I have a transcript that shows my coursework. I work in events and apply the information I received in these classes often. What this the ETCP certification gain me?
Secondly, as someone who hires local IBEW workers as necessary to install into venues and situations that require it, how does it benefit me to pay more for someone who has this certification? All of this is covered in currently existing standards. Certified electricians already are required to handle permanent installations, including low voltage. In my area anytime we are in a tent we are required to have a certified electrician run all power cords and distribution. Anytime I can come up with where this certification would be required I would hire a certified electrician to do the installation anyway.
I understand the rigging certification and I think it has become a very useful way to standardize the multiple different rigging training programs. It seems that the electrician certifications don't have the same need as the rigging.

I think there's a case to be made that under many entertainment electrical setups, a certified ETCP electrician or portable power technician will have greater knowledge then a licensed electrician, who in my experiences, often has little to no understanding or knowledge of dimming systems, power distribution in an entertainment venue and typically has never seen a CamLok connector. And forget the rest of the rig that doesn't fall under any licensing. I get along really well with the IBEW licensed guy on my campus as he knows that I know my way around my systems far better then he ever will.

As well we do not need to hire any IBEW folks for a basic power tie-in and never will. A lot of venues do and it's a waste of money typically. Thus in my opinion and hopefully, the ETCP cert's will become useful to venues if and when some powers-that-be see that the folks with the ETCP certification is a smarter choice.

I can add some personal reference as an ETCP EE. Like @Apmccandless I have a degree in theater, I've also spent many years with hands on lighting as well as time working along side installing electricians in non-theater situations. I took the exam in part to prove to others what I know (without going through the whole resume process,) and in part to support the ETCP movement. I also believe that for many the PPDT will be far more achievable. For all my background and decades it was not a slam dunk to pass the test.

As others stated, there is not much overlap between what an installing electrician an an entertainment electrician needs. The basics of safety and power formulas are of course the same, but little else. Most licensed electricians do well to recall there are code sections for what we do. Who here can do conduit fill and derating calculations and know they've covered all the exceptions?

Who really cares? The lawyers for the venues and promoters! Once they get wind of a respected qualification they will see it as a way to limit liability.

I think there's a case to be made that under many entertainment electrical setups, a certified ETCP electrician or portable power technician will have greater knowledge then a licensed electrician, who in my experiences, often has little to no understanding or knowledge of dimming systems, power distribution in an entertainment venue and typically has never seen a CamLok connector. And forget the rest of the rig that doesn't fall under any licensing. I get along really well with the IBEW licensed guy on my campus as he knows that I know my way around my systems far better then he ever will.

As well we do not need to hire any IBEW folks for a basic power tie-in and never will. A lot of venues do and it's a waste of money typically. Thus in my opinion and hopefully, the ETCP cert's will become useful to venues if and when some powers-that-be see that the folks with the ETCP certification is a smarter choice.
TLDR (I proclaim in advance): Hello! I concur and would like to speak to this from multiple sides, including several decades of IBEW and IA background as well as personally experiencing my IBEW brethren mating cams WITHOUT locking them. I'll also point out I'm writing from Canada.
In the sixties, in my area, entertainment power, be it genny based or real power, was dealt with pretty much by whomever came along. If a producer needed a genny, he contracted with a film provider and a generator was provided along with whatever was deemed necessary by the producer and the provider. The provider could also provide an operator / installer for whatever time period(s) were agreed upon. If it was real power our hydro inspectors took a bit more interest, but only a little. If it was generator power things were somewhat less strictly controlled, a little more 'wild west' if you will. So long as there were no fires and nobody was maimed or killed, if the invoices and local permit fees were paid, every one was happy.
In 1973 our city finally built a long awaited, 2183 seat, twin balcony, twin hydraulic lifts, 'soft seater' road house. The IA assistant electrician from a 3,000 seat venue in nearby Toronto was hired as our venue's head LX and three of us IBEW members who'd been catching IA calls on the side for 6 - 10 years were often brought in to serve as assistant LX for whatever time period was deemed necessary / agreed upon. If a production was going to require power for busses and / or touring 'piano boards', usually one of us IA brothers was brought on board and put in charge of whatever tie-ins (and outs) were required. This was long before the era of commercially manufactured "company switches" as envisioned in this century. Along the way, our little cadre of IBEW brethren were becoming indoctrinated into the world of CamLoks, splitting T's, paralleling T's, reverse sexed grounds + neutrals and the ways of the IA. On the plus side, we didn't often have teamsters to deal with but there were the railway workers whenever shows arrived by rail car(s). Things just slowly evolved. To my knowledge, the larger venue still has its original pair of 3-pole 400 amp breakers and a couple of 3-pole 100 amp breakers were added over the years. In 1991 a brand new 750 seat producing venue was built from the ground up. The architect had the electrical consulting engineer include a fused (Not a breaker-fuses) 3 pole 5 wire switch USR and, eventually, a 100 amp 3 pole 5 wire switch USL. Over the years small splitter troughs were added. Again, tie-ins and outs were pretty much a hodge podge of who ever came along with whatever needs. The 750 seat venue is supplied via a 2,000 amp `120/208 volt, GFCI protected, main service. The larger venue's service is three phase 13,800 volts, a common supply voltage in our area, into a 13K8 delta to 347/600 wye step down transformer. A V12 diesel provides emergency standby / backup power at 347/600 volts. I believe the U.S. has something like 277/480 which is rarely seen outside of heavy industry in most of Canada with 347/600, unheard of in the U.S., being VERY common up here. At some point the city built an arena where the power is brought in as 3 phase 27,600 volts. Another common voltage in our part of the planet.
I did provide a TLDR warning.
Skip a couple of decades to 1999 and I'm supervising an AV/Show control crew on the strip in LasVegas in a little three story building for Tussaud's in front of the italian place with the indoor and outdoor canals, gondolas and gondoliers. The primary electrical contractor was back ordered on the switchgear for the three story building's electrical service. Everything was coming together for the grand opening with all finishes completed and most of Tussaud's manequins costumed and positioned yet the entire three floors were still limping along on a 200 amp 120/208 temporary service. Tussaud's management decreed they had to proceed with all A/V, display lighting and show control programing and independently contracted a 4 wheel, trailer based, whisper quiet generator. The generator provider inspected the site, took measurements, and included all necessary CamLok tails, T's and cables. My fine buddies from the 'Vegas IBEW insisted THEY had to install ALL of the wiring after which we mere mortals would be permitted to fire up the genny and program to our hearts content at any hour of the night or day.
You CANNOT imagine the MESS! (At least I sincerely hope you can't.) The genny supplier included everything necessary to power our two 200 amp panels in the fairly normal reversed sexed neutral and ground fashion.
Yeah, I know, I'm long past TLDR but the end is in sight and we're at the best / dumbest part.
The IBEW foreman put a 5th year apprentice in charge of the hook up.
He came off the genny with 5 MALE tails, males, ALL five! They lugged five 100' Cam cables to the roof and tossed five female ends down to mate with the genny. Ran across the roof, in through a roof hatch where they installed five T's plus five short cables and a bizarre combination of assorted tails to power our main Lyntec sequencing panel. From the five T's, they went back out the roof hatch. Across the roof and used a gas powered carbide saw to make two cuts through the white, watertight, membrane and the galvanized Q-deck. Peeled back the 'torn corner' they'd created in the flat roof. Dropped in the last of the Cam cables and used the last of the assorted tails to feed our secondary 200 amp panel. This would give us power for our central equipment room plus enough power to program our two floor of displays so long as we kept an eye on our maximum loading while setting LXQ's.
Where the messy pile of cables and miss-fed T's met below the partially open roof hatch, the apprentice thoughtfully included a couple of small rubber mats just in case any rain should enter. During the day, workers, often pushing wheel barrows, trudged over the rubber mats with nary a care about the cam cables as everyone had been assured they'd be completely de-energized all day long and only powered after normal working hours.
Imagine Tussaud's surprise when they powered up the generator and smoke spewed from the Lyntec and five really good 2RU UPS's! NONE of the CamLoks had been locked; NOT ONE! None of them. We were several nights into programming with a couple more to go when the neutral cam sourcing the T's separated causing our 3 phases to swing wildly and havoc to reign supreme. Lyntec and UPS Red came through along with a nearby UPS stocking distributor. A sleepless day was spent replacing the five UPS's and the Lyntec control PCB but we were back to programming by nightfall with having missed only the one overnight session.
Ya, retired IA and IBEW I'm (mostly) proud to proclaim but I remain a staunch supporter of your entertainment certifications. I have one more rant regarding mindless electricians of multiple qualifications but I'll step down and save it for another time I feel a strong urge to rant.
Edited to correct PC to PCB.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
Ya, retired IA and IBEW I'm (mostly) proud to proclaim but I remain a staunch supporter of your entertainment certifications. I have one more rant regarding mindless electricians of multiple qualifications but I'll step down and save it for another time I feel a strong urge to rant.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Now I REALLY want to sit down with a beer (or more) with you. What a story, and I can SO see it happening. Terrifying. Ive been non-union so far, both in electrical and "tech" (however doing SOME IA calls, which I'd like more of). I find it really scary remembering back when I was a second-year apprentice and realizing that for some things I had way more knowledge and skill than all the licensed electricians I was working with (of course the opposite was true in other areas).

347v is no fun to get poked by, I can see why some may avoid it (that was a BAD day). However it does work well!

I am for the ETCP certifications, I think they are great. Specialized training, and PROOF of that knowledge can be invaluable to avoiding stories like yours. I've seen enough, and heard enough stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back